New Haven is in Crosby Township in Hamilton County. The village was laid out in 1815 by Joab Comstock. Comstock "immigrated from the vicinity of New Haven, Connecticut, in 1801," according to Henry A. Ford and Kate B. Ford in their 1881 book, History of Hamilton County, Ohio. "He laid out the village of Crosby soon after coming, giving it his mother's maiden name, the township subsequently formed also taking its name from it." The Ford history says Crosby was on the west side of the Great Miami River, "below the famous bend, about two miles south of the [Butler] county line." The site "proved too low, however, for permanent occupation, and the great freshet of 1805 thoroughly inundated the town . . . and [it] was ultimately vacated." Ten years later, Comstock was joined by Major Charles Cone in founding New Haven "upon 20 acres of a 100-acre tract." Because there was another New Haven in Ohio, the first post office in 1826 was known as Preston. "In 1823 there was a Methodist revival in the neighborhood, after which the society was visited by a delegation of Shakers from Union Village, near Lebanon, Ohio," The Ford history explained. "In 1824 they purchased 40 acres of land for which they paid $200 and commenced to live in joint interest." The village was known as Whitewater, Shakers' Town and Shakers' Society, according to the Fords. In 1824, the Shakers also bought land in Butler County. The area in Morgan Township had been known as Morgantown since 1810. See entries for Morgantown and Union Village.