Butler County Place Names‎ > ‎N‎ > ‎

National Normal School

National Normal School -- which had several names while operating in Lebanon in neighboring Warren County, 1855-1934 -- is sometimes confused with the Normal College of Miami University, established in 1902 in Oxford. National Normal opened under the direction of Alfred Holbrook (1816-1909) in Lebanon in 1855 as Southwestern Normal School. Holbrook remained as principal or president until 1897. Enrollment was reported as 256 in the first year and reached 375 by 1859-1860. Its name was changed to National Normal School in 1870 and to National Normal University in 1881. Enrollment was reported as 1,576 in 1875 with 18 faculty members. Although mainly a teachers college, it also had departments of medicine, law and photography by the 1870s. Another name change came in 1907 when it became Lebanon University. The school closed in 1917 and its records were transferred to Wilmington College in Wilmington, Ohio. At an unknown date, an Alfred Holbrook College opened in a former NNU building in Lebanon and operated until 1934, when it moved to Manchester, Ohio. That school closed in 1941. (See Normal College of Miami University.)
Return to Index
Comments