Millett Hall -- at the intersection of Bonham Road, Tallawanda Road and Sycamore Street -- is named for Dr. John D. Millett, the 16th president of Miami University (1953-1964) and the first chancellor of the Ohio Board of Regents (1964-1972). It is called a general purpose assembly building, or the site of basketball games and other indoor sports, concerts, convocations and commencement exercises. When opened, it had 9,200 permanent seats and a capacity of 11,500 with seating on the floor. The $7.5 million structure -- equivalent to a six-story building -- encloses about three and a half acres.
It opened Dec. 2, 1968, with 9,315 people watching Coach Tates Locke's Miami team lose, 86-77, to Coach Adolph Rupp's Kentucky Wildcats. Millett replaced Withrow Court (nearby on Tallawanda Road) as the home of Miami basketball.