Middletown & Cincinnati Railroad Company was organized by Middletown business leaders to provide the city with a third rail outlet and competitive shipping rates. Paul J. Sorg spearheaded the campaign that led to incorporation of the Middletown & Cincinnati Railway Co. March 7, 1890, with Sorg as its president. It was renamed the Middletown & Cincinnati Railroad Co. in 1894. Theodore C. Simpson, a Sorg business associate, directed building the railroad in 1892. The 11.6-mile line extended southeast from Middletown to a connection with the Cincinnati, Lebanon & Northern at Hageman Corner, north of Mason and southwest of Lebanon in Warren County. At Hageman, the CL&N provided a southern connection to Cincinnati. Dayton could be reached by the CL&N's connection with the Dayton, Lebanon & Cincinnati. The M&C continued southeast beyond Hageman to Middletown Jct. (between Kings Mills and South Lebanon), where it connected with the Pennsylvania Railroad's Cincinnati-Columbus mainline, originally the Little Miami Railroad. The Pennsylvania Railroad acquired full control of the Middletown & Cincinnati June 1, 1902. The M&C became part of the Penn Central June 1, 1968, and passed to Conrail Aug. 1, 1976. Later, the M&C was acquired by the Indiana & Ohio Railway. Cincinnati, Lebanon & Northern Railroad Co. incorporated July 14, 1885, to operate from Cincinnati north through Mason and Lebanon to Waynesville. About 1.2 miles of its track was in Butler County. It passed through the southeast corner of West Chester Township (formerly Union Twp.). The 36.2-mile CL&N provided an outlet for the Middletown & Cincinnati Railroad Company at Hageman Junction. The CL&N and the Dayton, Lebanon & Cincinnati combined formed a 54.2-mile link between Cincinnati and Dayton.