Miamisburg, in Montgomery County, is 10.8 miles north of Middletown, station to station, on the former Short Line/Big Four railroad route. Miamisburg began as Hole's Station. A city web site says: "Feb. 20, 1818, four men from Pennsylvania -- Emanuel Gebhart, Jacob Kercher, Dr. John Treon and Dr. Peter Treon -- offered for sale at public auction 90 lots in a new town by the name of Miamisburg. Situated on the left bank of the Great Miami River, the plat was divided into square lots containing one-fifth of an acre. The small community had been known as Hole's Station since about 1797, when Zachariah Hole settled there with his family from Virginia and built a stockade as protection from Indians. In the interim, many settlers had arrived in the area, mostly from Pennsylvania. The name Miamisburg was derived from the Miami Indian tribe that resided there, combining 'Miamis' with 'burg,' which denotes a borough or town. By 1832, the unincorporated community had become a village and achieved city status about 100 years later." In a sketch on Miami Twp. in the 1882 history of Montgomery County, Jacob Zimmer wrote: "In the latter part of the year 1795, a surveying corps under the charge of Daniel C. Cooper, located a road through the dense forest up the east bank of the Miami, from Fort Hamilton to the mouth of Mad River, and early in 1797, the territory now embraced in this township [Miami Twp.] began to be settled, as in that year William Hole located on 150 acres of land in Section 25, east of the present town of Miamisburg.
"In the summer of 1799, a blockhouse was erected on a part of Zachariah Hole's land, around which was thrown a stockade for protection against the Indians, and this became known as Hole's Station. It was soon recognized as a point of considerable importance, a kind of headquarters for all who came to this region while prospecting for or locating land."
"The Miamisburg Mound is the largest conical burial mound in the state of Ohio and possibly in the eastern U. S., according to an Ohio Historical Society web site. "Archaeological investigations of the surrounding area suggest that it was constructed by the prehistoric Adena Indians (800 BC - AD 100). Built on a 100-foot-high bluff, the mound measures 877 feet in circumference. It was originally more than 70 feet high. Visitors may climb the 116 steps to the summit." (See Montgomery County, Chautauqua, Miami-Erie Canal and Great Mound of Butler County.)