Miami Woods is a 100.9-acre forest and nature preserve on New London Road, opposite Potter's Municipal Golf Course. It is maintained by the Hamilton Parks and Recreation Department with assistance from the Hamilton Garden Club. It began in August 1947 with the purchase of 52.88 acres from Katherine Potter and Helen Hanson Potter, heirs of Ellis M. Potter, who had donated the land for the golf course. The purchase price was $25,000. In 1975, through the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. Don Fitton, a pond was added. Added land was purchased by the city in 1982 and 1984. "Miami Woods is an excellent example of what this part of Ohio looked like 200 years ago," noted a parks and recreation department report. "Some of the oldest and largest oak trees in the area are in the climax forest."