Butler County Place Names‎ > ‎M‎ > ‎

Miami Conservancy District

Miami Conservancy District-- formed in reaction to the disastrous March 1913 flood -- was created by citizens and local governments along the Great Miami River. Water was high as 40 feet in the river and from 10 to 20 feet in parts of central Hamilton during the flood. With "Remember the promises you made in the attic" as their slogan, MCD organizers asked the Ohio General Assembly to authorize formation of flood control measures along the river. With Hamilton and Middletown leading the way, the Miami Conservancy District was formed in February 1914. It was built without federal funding and is financed, maintained and directed by citizens in 10 counties (Butler, Clark, Greene, Hamilton, Logan, Miami, Montgomery, Preble, Shelby and Warren). Legal challenges delayed completion of its varied flood control projects -- including widening the river through Hamilton and erection of levees -- until 1923. The MCD continues to monitor the river and maintain dams and levees along its course.


Return to Index
Comments