Miami Airport or Miami University Airport. Miami University was among schools that introduced pilot training in 1940, thanks to a federally-funded program designed for college students. The Civilian Pilot Training Program was a multi-purpose project of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration. CPTP was a Depression-fighting measure aimed at helping the aviation industry, including economic boosts to operators of small airports. It also had a military objective -- produce a pool of young trained pilots to be available to the armed forces in case of war. Miami launched its program in 1940 as a ground school, but program was hampered by the lack of an airport in or near Oxford. That problem was solved in January 1942 with a $30,000 grant from the state for creation of a Miami University Airport. A 330-acre site was acquired west of Oxford between Fairfield, Riggs and Brookville roads. A steel hangar was purchased and moved from the Mount Healthy Airport (now the site of Northgate Mall) at Colerain and Springdale roads in Hamilton County. The first plane landed at the Miami field Jan. 27, 1943. The airport was dedicated July 17, 1943.