Mechanicsburg is now known as West Chester. It was on present Cincinnati-Dayton Road in West Chester Twp. Its original name is believed to have been Hogtown because farmers in the vicinity raised so many hogs. It was first platted as Mechanicsburg in 1817 by Hezekiah Smith. The first post office was established April 1, 1824, as Chester and changed to West Chester Oct. 2, 1826.