Butler County Place Names‎ > ‎M‎ > ‎


Manchester -- now part of Middletown -- was planned around the present intersection of Tytus Avenue and Enoch Drive. It was platted April 23, 1827, by Abner Enoch. It was then about 2.5 miles north of the village of Middletown. Its plan included 91 lots and 14 mill sites along the east side of the Great Miami River. It was bypassed by both the Miami-Erie Canal and the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad. Fires and floods finally spoiled Enoch's dream of an industrial village, named in honor of the English manufacturing city and seaport.

Return to Index