Madison Township was the ninth township formed. It was authorized May 7, 1810, by Butler County commissioners. Its area was taken from Lemon Township. It was named in honor of James Madison, who was president at the time.
Madison, who was president from 1809 until 1871, is regarded as both "The Father of the Constitution" and "The Father of the Bill of Rights."