Madison or Madison City -- also known as Heno, West Middletown and Madison Junction -- was in Madison Township, west of Middletown and the Great Miami River. It was built in 1846 by John Mumma (or John Munn), and recorded May 20, 1854, as Madison City by John and William Walter. The Madison House was a tavern and stagecoach stop operated by John Munn. Madison was named in honor of President James Madison, who occupied the White House from 1809 until 1817. But the town name was rejected by postal officers because there was an existing Madison, Ohio. The post office was established at Heno Jan. 31, 1890. The town became a station on the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad in 1851, and known as West Middletown and Middletown Junction.