Lakota School District. What would become the Lakota district began with the combination of the Union and Liberty township schools Jan. 30, 1957. When the 1957-58 term opened, the new Liberty-Union District had 1,501 students. It's $765,000 Lakota High School opened in September 1959 with 460 students in a building with a capacity for 700 pupils. The Liberty-Union district changed its name to Lakota School District July 1, 1970. In 1997, Lakota High School split with the opening of two new buildings, Lakota East and Lakota West. The schools -- designed for 1,800 students each -- cost a total of $52 million. In Union Township in 1914, there had been nine districts (Pisgah, White, West Chester, Port Union, Tylersville, 18-Mile Corner, Wakefield, Maud and Rialto).