Jones or Jones Station was named for George W. Jones and/or John D. Jones, who owned the land on which a stone water tower (called the "Stone Jug"), a station and a siding track were erected after the opening of the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad in 1851. It was at the Seward Road crossing (formerly Cooper Road). Residents recalled the depot as including a passenger waiting room, a freight area and a cattle pen outside. Hogs, livestock and grain could be loaded on cars placed on the siding. The ticket agent also doubled as a telegrapher. A post office was established April 25, 1856, as Jones Station. It was changed Nov. 29, 1882, to Jones, and a few weeks later, Dec. 20, 1882, to Stockton. June 4, 1883, it reverted back to Jones, and to Stockton again Oct. 24, 1883. The post office was discontinued May 15, 1922.
Stockton -- site of the infamous Stockton Club during Prohibition -- also was known as Stop 24 on the interurban (traction) line. The area is now within the City of Fairfield.