Jewel Theater was at the southeast corner of South Second and Court streets, Hamilton. An existing building was modified as theater. At grand opening May 1, 1909, reported as 40x50-foot, 350-seat theater. Later reported as 450 seats. Building was sold March 1, 1926, and theater closed March 14, 1926.
In 1929-1930 city directory, the Central Drug Store was listed at that address. The building demolished in 1960s for a bank parking lot. Work on the Jewel Theater was directed by John Eberson (1875-1964), a native of Romania who trained in Vienna, Austria, and Desden, Germany. Later, in the United States, he specialized in theater architecture with emphasis on interior design. He became known as "Opera House John," designing theaters from New York to Texas and abroad. The Jewel in Hamilton is believed to have been among his first, if not his first theater commission.
There also was the Jewel Photoplay Company, 50 High Street, northwest corner of High and North Front Streets. In the mid 1920s, this was the parent company of three Hamilton theaters, the Rialto, Jefferson and Jewel. Offices were in the Rialto building. Officers were John A. Schwalm, president, and John H. Broomhall, secretary and treasurer.