Butler County Place Names‎ > ‎J‎ > ‎


Jacksonburg also has been called Jacksonboro and Jacksonborough. It is on Ohio 744 in Wayne Township. It was laid out in 1816 by Henry Weaver, John Baird and John Craig. It was a major stop on the road between Cincinnati (to the south) and Preble and Darke counties (to the north). The village was named in honor of Andrew Jackson, hero of the January 1815 Battle of New Orleans at the end of the War of 1812. Jackson was president from 1829 until 1837. A post office was established June 19, 1818, as Jacksonboro and, after 1851, known as Jacksonborough. It was changed back to Jacksonboro March 18, 1892. The post office was discontinued May 30, 1903. James M. Cox was born March 31, 1870, in Jacksonburg and lived and worked in several Butler County communities on the way to becoming Ohio's first three-term governor, 1913-1915 and 1917-1921. He was a teacher and journalist before entering politics. In 1909, Cox won the first of two terms in the U. S. House of Representatives. He was elected governor of Ohio in 1912. His success as governor made Cox a prime candidate to replace the ailing President Woodrow Wilson as the party's nominee in 1920. Cox lost to another Ohioan, Warren G. Harding, who, like Cox, was a newspaper publisher. After leaving the governor's office Jan. 10, 1921, he devoted his energies to his newspaper chain, that later added radio, television and cable to the news and entertainment company. A loan from Paul J. Sorg of Middletown had enabled Cox to purchase the Dayton Daily News, the start of a national media company that still bears the Cox name. Cox died July 15, 1957, in Dayton. (See Cox Homestead.)

Return to Index