Huntsville is in Section 20 of Liberty Township at the intersection of Princeton Road (the extension of Hamilton's High Street) and Yankee Road. It was founded about 1800 by Thomas Hunt, who died in 1814 at the age of 65.
Yankee Road reportedly got its name because members of the Hunt family were considered Yankees. Huntsville post office was established April 1, 1817, and moved June 24, 1844, to Bethany. Thomas Hunt and his sons, Ira, William and Nathan, built Yankee Road to Middletown in 1807. The sons constructed the Miami Bridge (on the present site of Hamilton's High-Main Bridge) between Hamilton and Rossville. The bridge opened in December 1819.