Hughes or Hughes Station -- in Section 27 of Liberty Twp. -- was founded in 1822 by Joshua Hughes. Hughes Station on the Straight Line or Short Line Railroad was named for the Joshua Hughes, son of Elijah, who owned the land the town was built on and was the town's first postmaster. A post office was moved from Princeton Dec. 9, 1872, and known as Hughes Station until changed to Hughes Sept. 19, 1887. The post office was discontinued May 31, 1906. The Short Line Railroad was later known as the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati & Indianapolis Railroad, the New York Central, Penn Central, and Norfolk Southern after June 1, 1999.