Butler County Place Names‎ > ‎H‎ > ‎

Hueston House

Hueston House or the Matthew Hueston House, 1320 Four Mile Creek Road, Hanover Twp., was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. "This building is a fine example of rural, stone architecture," says the web site of the Ohio Historic Preservation Office (OHPO) of the Ohio Historical Society. "The overall simplicity of the building reveals its original functional importance and the stone construction illustrates the needed strength of dwellings intended to withstand the rigors of early 19th century life." The OHPO says "Matthew Hueston was one of the earliest settlers in the Northwest Territory. He became one of the first and largest landowners in Butler County. He held several local offices and was considered an important local figure." The OHPO report continues: "Matthew Hueston (1771-1847) was born in Franklin County, Pa. His father was killed by Indians when Matthew was only two. Matthew trained as a tanner and currier and in 1793 floated down the Ohio to Cincinnati where Gen. Anthony Wayne's expedition was being organized. In time he became full time commissary at Fort Washington and served the same position with Wayne's army during 1794-95. He then set up an army store at Fort Greenville and another at Fort Washington. He lost much of his money during a long illness, but eventually paid off his debts and accumulated a large reserve with which he purchased land in 1800. "Hueston's first farm was located four miles south of Fort Hamilton in 1802 [in Fairfield Twp.]. Here he built a log house which he ultimately transformed into Hueston's Tavern, complete with ballroom. [The Hueston property was in the vicinity of present Ohio 4, or Dixie Hwy., and Winton Road.] This was only the start of his land acquisitions, for he was to become the largest land holder in Butler County. "April 15, 1802, Matthew Hueston married Catherine Davis and they moved to his Fairfield Twp. farm. They remained here until 1813 when he built a handsome stone mansion [Hueston House] on Four-Mile Creek in Hanover Twp. Near the home he established a grist mill, saw mill and tenant houses. The Hueston's had nine children. "In the beginning of the 19th century, Hueston took an active part in the Ohio militia and became a colonel of the Second Regiment. During the War of 1812, upon the surrender of Gen. William Hull to the British forces at Detroit, Hueston offered his services to the government and became the purchasing agent for the contractor of the Northwestern army. This military organization was under the command of the future president, William Henry Harrison. "Hueston was a justice of the peace in both Fairfield and Hanover townships. He held the position in Hanover Twp. for 23 years. He was also a commissioner of Butler County from 1826 to 1835. He served as a member of the board of directors of the Bank of Hamilton from 1826 to 1827 and for 14 years on the board of directors of the Miami Bridge Co. [first bridge connecting Hamilton and Rossville]. He lived in the stone house for 23 years and in the mid 1830s Hueston moved to Rossville to a home on the northwest corner of Third and Franklin streets [now 223 Ross Ave.]. The stone house passed to his daughter, Eliza. [Mattew Hueston died April 16, 1847, in his Rossville residence.]


Return to Index
Comments