Greenville Treaty or the Treaty of Greenville, Aug. 3, 1795. After his victory at Fallen Timbers Aug. 20, 1794, Gen. Anthony Wayne remained at Fort Greenville (or Greene Ville) to negotiate a treaty with the Indians. "The natives realized that they were at a serious disadvantage with the Americans, especially because of England's refusal to support the Indians," reports an Ohio Historical Society web site. The treaty was signed Aug. 3, 1795, with several tribes -- Wyandots, Delawares, Shawanoes, Ottawas, Chipewas, Putawatimes, Miamis, Eel-river, Weea's, Kickapoos, Piankashaws, and Kaskaskias. The Indians agreed to move to the northwestern corner of what became Ohio, yielding their lands south and east of the agreed upon boundary, the Greenville Treaty Line. The OHS says "not all Indians concurred with the treaty, and bloodshed continued to dominate the region for the next 20 years as Americans and Indians struggled for control." After the treaty, the army began abandonment of Fort Hamilton.
The city of Greenville, county seat of Darke County, originated with the building of Fort Greene Ville in 1793. The site was chosen by Gen. Wayne as his base and the headquarters of his army. He named the fort after Wayne's colleague in the American Revolution -- Major-Gen. Nathanael Greene of Rhode Island. Greenville is 30 miles northwest of Dayton and 10 miles east of Indiana. A history web site of Darke County Chamber of Commerce adds the following details: "The fort at Greene Ville was burned in 1796 and the nails and other materials used in construction by the first settlers of Montgomery County. Between 1796 and 1804 Tecumseh and his brother, The Prophet, established a village above Greenville on the west side of Mud Creek called Prophetstown. "In 1807 Azor Scribner came to the area with trade goods. Samuel Boyd and family also settled in Greenville Twp. in 1807. In 1808 John Devor purchased the site of Fort Greene Ville and platted it in August. Early settlers fought disease as well as the vast swamp land and forest that was Darke County in the early 19th century. In January 1809, Darke County was created from Miami County. It is named for Col. William Darke who had served with Harmar, St. Clair and Wayne. "In 1812 a small stockade was erected at Greenville and garrisoned during the second war with England. At the end of the War of 1812 and the defeat of Tecumseh and the Prophet in 1813, a second treaty was signed with the Indians Aug. 20, 1814, by William Henry Harrison who had been Anthony Wayne's aid in 1795. For the two treaties Greenville is known as the Treaty City.
(See Greenville Treaty Line, Miami Purchase, Hamilton County, Fort Washington, Fort Hamilton, St. Clair's defeat, Fort Recovery, Kekionga and Fallen Timbers)