Butler County Place Names‎ > ‎G‎ > ‎

Grand Theater

Grand Theater was listed variously as 317, 319 and 321 High Street, southeast corner of High and State streets, Hamilton. It opened Aug. 29, 1905, as a 400-seat vaudeville playhouse. It also was known as the Grand Family Theater and later as the State Theater and the Lyric Theater. When the New Grand Theater opened on South Third Street March 2, 1908, the Grand on High Street was renamed the Lyric Theater. It was listed as the Lyric in city directories, except 1933-1934 directory when it was listed as the State Theater. It closed in 1948 as the Lyric. The building was demolished in July 1953. Also see the Linden Theater, which also was known briefly as the Grand. (See Jim Blount history columns in Journal-News Oct. 2, 1996, and Oct. 9, 1996, for more details.)


Return to Index
Comments