German Village Historic District -- established in 1973 by Hamilton City Council -- is one of three Hamilton areas listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service. It is a nine-block neighborhood immediately north of downtown Hamilton, bounded by the Great Miami River on the west, North Fourth Street on the east, Dayton Street on the south and Vine Street (Hansel Place) on the north. The area was part of the original plat of Hamilton, laid out in 1796 by surveyor Israel Ludlow, and the town's first courts, school, newspaper and businesses were within the district. Most of the buildings were erected in the 1830s after establishment of St. Stephen's Church by the Franciscan order. The houses in the area -- ranging from small, one-family dwellings to mansions -- were built or occupied by families of German lineage. The historic district was named German Village in 1973 in honor of the contributions to Hamilton of German immigrants and their descendants. Some of the notable buildings within its boundaries are the Lane Public Library; the Lane-Hooven House; the Benninghofen House, home of the Butler County Historical Society; Mercy Hospital; the YMCA and the YWCA; the Beckett Paper Co.; and St. Julie Billiart Church (formerly St. Stephen's).
Other historic districts in Hamilton are Rossville and Dayton Lane.