Furmandale also was called Snaptown, Snopstown and Schnapstown. It was at the present intersection of Winton Road and Dixie Highway (Ohio 4) in Fairfield.
It was called Furmandale because Nathaniel Furman, formerly of Trenton, N. J., bought the Butler Tavern there and converted it into a boarding school for girls. A Furmandale post office operated for a brief time, Dec. 12, 1857, until Oct. 11, 1858. Snaptown is believed to have been a corruption of Snopstown for a distillery and the Butler Tavern. Schnapstown, or Schnapps Town, was a name derived from the Schnapps Tavern, which catered to a German clientele.