Butler County Place Names‎ > ‎F‎ > ‎

Franklin County

Franklin County -- which is on the lower part of Butler County's western border -- was formed Jan. 1, 1811. It was named for Benjamin Franklin, a founding father during the American Revolution period. There are 386 square miles in the county. Population in 2003 was estimated at 22,773. George Pence and Nellie C. Armstrong in Indiana Boundaries: Territory, State and County (1933) said in 1809 "two large districts were purchased from the Indians at Fort Wayne, one of them the Twelve Mile Purchase, paralleling the 1795 treaty line north of the Grouseland session. During the meeting of the [Indiana] General Assembly in 1810, this purchase, with the northern part of Dearborn County, was laid out into Wayne and Franklin counties." Brookville became the county seat in an act of Dec. 5, 1811. During the 1818-19 term of the legislature, Franklin and Wayne counties lost territory to Fayette County (Connersville county seat), effective Jan. 1, 1819. Alterations were ordered Jan. 20, 1820 and Feb. 1, 1821. In the 1825-26 term, Franklin and Union counties made their last boundary changes Jan. 16, 1826, Franklin yielding western land to Fayette and a northern tract to Union. In its final form, the Ohio-Indiana line formed the eastern boundary with Dearborn County on the south, Fayette County on the west and Union County on the north. Other Franklin County communities, besides Brookville, include Cedar Grove, Laurel, Metamora, Mount Carmel New Trenton and Oldenburg. A portion of Batesville, which is mostly in Ripley County, extends into Franklin County.


Return to Index
Comments