Forest Park is a planned community south of Fairfield in Hamilton County. In 2003, Forest Park was the third largest city in Hamilton County, with about 19,463 residents in 7,505 households, according to the city web site. Warner-Kanter Corp., with undeveloped land from neighboring Greenhills, planned and built the community. Forest Park also is adjacent to 2,500-acre Winton Woods County Park. Forest Park was incorporated as a village in 1961 and reached city status in 1968. In 1954 Warner-Kanter purchased 3,365 acres for $1.2 million with plans to build about 5,000 homes. A master plan included land for schools, parks and recreation areas without cost to the community. In 1956, Cameron Park was the first area to be completed and first home to be purchased and occupied was at 861 Cascade Road. Founder's Park opened Sept. 30, 1956. Ground was broken for the first of five proposed recreation centers March 26, 1957. Incorporation of Forest Park as a village won approval July 5, 1961. Voters elected six council members, a mayor, and a clerk of council. Population growth in the 1960s led to city status. In 1967 a 15-member commission was elected to draft a charter. Nov. 5, 1968, voters approved a charter that included a council-manager plan with seven council members elected at large and on a non-partisan basis. The mayor was selected by council.