Firefighters Memorial -- dedicated March 25, 2001 -- was commissioned by the Butler County Fire Chiefs Association as a memorial to firefighters lost in the line of duty. George Danhires of Kent, Ohio, created the life-size statue that depicts a firefighter cradling a small child. Details in the statue are all frozen in bronze -- the creases in the boot as the firefighter kneels with a rescued child, the twisted strap at his back, and the tread on the bottom of his boots. Financed by public and private donations, the memorial includes a plaque that lists Butler County firefighters and EMTs who have died in the line of duty. "These souls sacrificed their lives protecting the citizens of Butler County". The first three names on the plaque -- John M. Hunker, William M. Love, and George P. Fritz -- are those of Hamilton firefighters who died March 12, 1912, battling a fire at the Butler County Courthouse. The monument is located in Monument Park , Hamilton, on South Monument Avenue near the western terminus of Court Street, between the Soldiers, Sailors and Pioneers Monument and the Fitton Center.