College Corner is in Oxford Township on the Ohio-Indiana line and was established in the extreme northwest corner of the college land reserved for Miami University in 1809. It is in Butler and Preble counties in Ohio and Union County in Indiana. The Preble County portion is in Israel Twp. On the Indiana side, it is known as West College Corner.
The village began in Butler County and spread to the other areas. Its first building (about 1811) is believed to have been a log hemp mill. The town was laid out May 5, 1837, by Gideon Howe, who also was its first tavernkeeper at Howe Tavern. The first house had been built in 1811, and a post office opened in Preble County May 19, 1830, and in Butler County Feb. 26, 1833.
College Corner (mile post 44.99) was a station on the Junction Railroad, listed as 19.5 miles from Hamilton station and 5.4 miles from the Oxford station on a station list of the Cincinnati, Indianapolis & Western Railroad, that was originally the Junction Railroad when opened in the 1850s, and now is the CSX. The CI&W had a passenger-freight station and a 50,000-gallon water tank at College Corner. (See Howe Tavern.)