Butler County Place Names‎ > ‎C‎ > ‎

Coke Otto

Coke Otto also was known as Otto and Kokotto before its name was changed to New Miami in January 1929 when the village was incorporated. The community started in 1900 with the development of the Hamilton Otto Coke Co., which manufactured gas for distribution in the City of Hamilton. The village expanded with the opening of the Hamilton Iron and Steel Co. (which became part of Armco in June 1936). The name Coke Otto was taken from the coke and gas process, identified as an Otto Hoffman coke and gas plant. The village was built on both the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad and the Pennsylvania Railroad and often has been listed as New River Junction in railroad schedules. The name Otto was used to identify the community in some newspaper articles in the early 1900s. Kokotto was an alternative for Coke Otto. (See Armco.)

Return to Index
Comments