Butler County Place Names‎ > ‎C‎ > ‎

Carlisle

Carlisle -- population 5,121 in 2000 - is a village in Franklin Twp. in Warren County and German Twp. in Montgomery County. It is northeast of Middletown and west of Franklin on Ohio 123. It is in the part of Butler County that was transferred March 1, 1815, to Warren County by the Ohio legislature. Jersey Settlement was started in 1805-05 by Arthur Vanderveer, William Barklow and others from Freehold, New Jersey. The name was changed to Carlisle in 1850 when John Carlisle of Cincinnati bought land and divided it into lots. Its growth was enhanced by the opening of the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad in 1851 (Carlisle Station). Carlisle is 6.4 miles north of West Middletown, 18.5 miles north of Hamilton and 15.2 miles south of Dayton on that railroad, now CSX. (See Franklin Twp. and Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad.)


Return to Index
Comments