Butler County Place Names‎ > ‎B‎ > ‎

Bruce's Station

Bruce's Station was a frontier station or stockade started by Charles Bruce in 1793 on the east side of the Great Miami River, about a mile and a half south of Fort Hamilton at the outlet of a large pond and adjacent to a 300-acre prairie, according to Richard Scamyhorn and John Steinle in their 1986 book, Stockades in the Wilderness. It would have been near the present site of the Hamilton Campus of Miami University. The station was used by cattle drovers who supplied the army. Bruce is believed to have resided there until his death in 1817. (Also see Big Pond, Peck's Addition and Traber's Mill.)

Return to Index
Comments