Bigham's Mill, when built between 1800 and 1812, was about two miles north of Hamilton along the Great Miami River at the north end of what became Canal Road. The property -- which extended as far south as present Dayton Street -- was purchased in 1795 by Joel Williams, a millwright, who two years later sold it to William Bigham and Robert Irwin. Part of the Bigham land became the basis for Greenwood Cemetery. The 1882 county history places the mill in the northwest corner of Section 26 of Fairfield Township. When the river changed its course (see New River), Bigham's Mill was no longer directly on the Great Miami River, but it continued to function. Bigham's Mill, wrote Mrs. Heiser, may have been the same mill known as Line's Mill (before 1802) and McCullough's Mill (1803-1806).