Big Miami Reserve was about 760,000 acres in Indiana that was a reservation for the Miami Indians. It was created in the 1818 treaty at St. Mary's, Ohio, in which the tribe yielded claims to an area known was the New Purchase, south of the Wabash River (Oct. 6, 1818).
"Howard County land was totally within the region once known as the Big Miami Reserve," writes Carl Leiter in an article on the web site of the Kokomo-Howard County Public Library.
"The Miami Reserve contained some 760,000 acres and was the largest Indian reservation ever to exist within the State of Indiana," Leiter notes. "By treaty provisions, this reserve extended along the Wabash River from the mouth of the Salamonie River to the mouth of Eel River North in Wabash and Cass counties. This placed the eastern and western terminals at Lagro and Logansport, and the distance was precisely 34.54 miles.
"Lines were then struck a similar distance south of those two points, and a southern line joining these east and west boundary lines passed near the present site of Tipton, Indiana. The Big Miami Reserve contained all of present-day Howard County, and portions of seven surrounding counties: Wabash, Miami, Cass, Clinton, Tipton, Madison and Grant."
The survey began in July 1819. Leiter said "at the time of the survey of the Big Miami Reserve in 1819-1820, the area was an unbroken wilderness, and there was not a white settlement between Terre Haute and Fort Wayne on the Wabash River."