Butler County Place Names‎ > ‎B‎ > ‎

Big Black Swamp

Big Black Swamp -- or the Swamp -- was in Fairfield and West Chester Township (formerly Union) townships, described in the 1875 atlas as "several thousand acres of inundated or swamp lands, covered with a dense growth of timber, such as ash, elm, sycamore and burr oak." The atlas placed it in the area then known as Change Bridge and later as Flockton or Flocton in Section 17 of Fairfield Township at the present Seward Road crossing of the Norfolk Southern Railroad. Several icehouses were located nearby during the last part of the 1800s.

About the year 1830 an act was passed by the legislature authorizing the county commissioners to levy a tax on certain adjacent lands for the purpose of raising money sufficient to reclaim the lands, and thus render the district healthy." April 30, 1839, John W. Erwin, a Hamilton engineer, was hired to direct the project, which converted the area into "one of the finest farming districts in Butler County," thanks to the digging of eight miles of drains.



Return to Index
Comments