Bethany is a community in Section 14 in Liberty Township on Cincinnati-Dayton Road (formerly U. S. 25). The first house there is believed to have been built in 1798 by David Williamson, who also built a tavern there. Bethany was formally laid out in 1822 by Samuel Lowery. The Bethany post office, which was moved June 24, 1844, from Huntsville, closed in 1957. Nearby is the community of Jericho (or Jerico). Bethany (or House of Dates) was a biblical village, mentioned in the New Testament, on the Mount of Olives in Jordan near Jerusalem.