Ball's Ferry was immediately east of Trenton in Madison Township on the Great Miami River where Davis Ball and then Aaron Ball operated a ferry from about 1818 until 1861, and Peter Schertz until 1867. In the latter year a free bridge was built by the county. The ferry was on the route of the state road from Chillicothe to the college lands (Miami University in Oxford) when Chillicothe was the state capital (1803-1810 and 1812-1816). The ferry site is believed to have been a fourth of a mile south of the present Ohio 73 bridge, which opened in 1965. Ball's Ferry also was known as Brownstown.