Augspurger was on the west bank of the Great Miami River at the intersection of Wayne-Madison, Woodsdale and Augspurger roads on the line dividing Madison and St. Clair townships. It was an Amish Mennonite settlement formed by Christian Augspurger, starting in 1829. In 1867 a paper mill was built there by the Beckett Paper Co. and the name was changed to Woodsdale in honor of William Woods, president of the paper mill.
For more information, consult The Amish Mennonite Settlement in Butler County, Ohio, by Doris L. Page and Marie Johns. Also see entry for Chrisholm Historic Farmhouse.