Amanda Springs is not in Butler County. It is south of the county line in Colerain Township in Hamilton County, between Ross (or Venice) and Dunlap. In 1868 N. G. French, Amand B. French and Giles Richards donated it as a public watering place along the Colerain Pike, one and a half miles south of Ross. The hillside spring-fed stone watering trough was a familiar site for travelers until U. S. 27 was rerouted over newly-built roadway in 1970. In 2006 an Ohio Historical Society marker, sponsored by the Coleraine Historical Society, was placed at the spring. The site is identified as 2/10ths of a mile south of the intersection of Old Colerain Avenue and East Miami River Road. It is identified on the marker as the Colerain Turnpike Watering Trough. The text on the marker is: "This spring fed watering trough was erected by Giles Richards (1792-1876) in 1867 and has provided water to travelers and livestock ever since. Richards owned and operated a number of enterprises in Colerain Twp. starting in the early 1800s. Upon the marble slab just above the iron trough is engraved: "Stranger and traveler, Yet hath no other claim, Drink freely and bestow, Than as the minister, Who bade this fountain flow, Drink and in peace go."