Widening of Glenmore Trail
Construction starting May 2018 - October 2019
The City of Calgary is widening Glenmore Trail to six lanes between 37 Street and Crowchild Trail S.W. and modifying the Glenmore Trail/Crowchild Trail S.W. interchange. These upgrades will provide for a better road network by accommodating changes to traffic volume and patterns that are expected after the opening of the Southwest Ring Road (SWRR).
The design work for the Glenmore Trail widening and interchange upgrades has now begun, with construction planned to start in 2018 and continuing into 2019. The City will coordinate with utility groups and the Government of Alberta throughout the process and will continue updating the community as the project progresses.
Maps will be posted on this page soon.
About the project
The widening of Glenmore Trail to six lanes between 37 Street and Crowchild Trail S.W. will provide better access to and from the SWRR and improvements to the overall transportation network. The upgrade to the Glenmore Trail/Crowchild Trail S.W. interchange will modify the current interchange to manage traffic that’s moving east to north and south to west. The City is responsible for the design and construction of this project because it is located within city limits. This project includes the following features:
- Increasing Glenmore Trail from four to six lanes between 37 Street and Crowchild Trail S.W. as well as rebuilding this aging section of road.
- Modify the interchange for short-term improvements to help accommodate opening day traffic volumes.
- Remove the pedestrian bridge over Crowchild Trail just south of 54 Avenue S.W. and construct a new pedestrian bridge over Crowchild Trail at 54 Avenue S.W.
- A noise study to determine if noise barriers are required, as guided by The City’s Surface Noise Policy.
- A City study to update the long-term plans for the Glenmore Trail/Crowchild Trail S.W. interchange will occur in the future.
Design: Late 2017 - spring 2018
Construction: Spring 2018 - fall 2019
Road completion: Fall 2019
Calgary’s southwest ring road
This project is one of several City-led projects to connect Calgary’s road network to the ring road. To learn more about these other projects, as well as information on SWCRR, including construction schedule, design and the history of the project, visit Calgary’s southwest ring road home page.
Information source: City of Calgary