START Volunteer Benefits
You are not just another volunteer! We greatly value our volunteers and as such we have a comprehensive benefits program. It is our way to say thank you for all of your hard work.
When you volunteer 10 hours or more every month you receive a volunteer benefits card that entitles you to:
You must show your benefits card and a piece of ID at the café to get your discount. Just come to the START office on the last day of the month and you will receive your benefits card and other attained benefits.
1. Volunteer Benefits Card
● 20% off all your purchases at the GrassRoots Café
●Free Printing: volunteers may print up to 20 pages (black and white ink, 8.5" x 11" letter size) a day
●Free Photocopying: volunteers are entitled to free photocopying (15 pages per day) at any KSA photocopier, but keep in mind we are an environmentally friendly organization thus only photocopy documents that you need -- single sided on 100% post-consumer paper.
● Free local and long distance faxing
● Access to Job Opportunities: you will be able to get into the inner track to access job opportunities within Kwantlen as well as the surrounding community.
● T-Shirts: You will be given your free START volunteer t-shirt on your first official shift. Additional T-shirts can be purchased from your specialist/coordinator, for $10 each.
● Refer-a-friend: Volunteers who refer a friend to START will receive a free movie pass granted they and the person they refer complete a minimum 10 hours of volunteering, not including training or shadowing. Please mention the name of the person you referred to one of the START specialists to receive the movie pass.
● Food Safe Course* and Serving it Right Course*: You can obtain this after you complete training and 10 hours of volunteering, which does not include training and shadow shift. This is done on-campus and offered to volunteers for free.
● START Mini School (SMS): Here at the START Volunteer Program we offer students and volunteers many free and discounted training courses and work shops such as Guitar Lessons, Photography Lessons, DJ Lessons, Food Safe, First Aid and much more. To find out more information about some of the courses and workshops we have, please contact someone on the team.
3. Employment Related Benefits
4. Farmers Market Benefits
● Work Experience: If you're looking to get some experience under your belt for possible jobs, a great way is to volunteer to get the experience you need.
● Reference Letter: You may request a reference letter after successfully completing 30 or more hours with the KSA. As a note: You must give at least 2 week notice for the letter to the Volunteer Specialist.
● Job Search/Interview/Cover letter/Resume Building Workshops: We have teamed up with Career Services to provide training in these few areas. If you are interested please speak with the Volunteer Specialist at your campus about upcoming sessions.
● First Aid Training: You will get a further discount on First Aid courses offered by START provided that you have completed your training and 10 hours of volunteering.
● Food Safe/Serving it Right: Once you’ve completed at least 10 hours of volunteering, you will be able to take the Food Safe and Serving it Right Courses for free. If you did not complete 10 hours, you will have to pay for the course.
● Reference Letter: Once volunteers complete 10 hours of volunteering at the Kwantlen St. Farmers Market, volunteers may be eligible to receive a reference letter for all their efforts
● $20 to Spend at the Market: Volunteers who volunteer 10 hours during set up or take down can receive $20 to spend at the Farmers Market, if you are interested in volunteering at the Richmond Campus Farmers Market please email firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Volunteer Outings and Annual Recognition Dinners:
The purpose of the volunteer outing is to bring together volunteers who work hard from all four campuses and to enjoy one another’s company through various activities. Volunteer outings occur every month, location will vary on votes and weather permitting. The recognition dinner occurs annually and invites several volunteers who have gone above and beyond the expectations given to them, provided that the banquet is a formal event and certifications are awarded in a ceremonial manner.
If you like to know the requirements, send us an email and we will be happy to answer your questions.