Mrs. Thompson's website
My name is Afton Thompson, and I have been teaching language arts at Kuna Middle School for eleven years. I have a Bachelor's Degree from the University of Idaho and a Master's Degree from Boise State. I absolutely love what I do. Teaching and learning from kids is a rewarding experience.
I started my teaching career in Kuna in 2007, and taught 7th grade ELA until May 2018. This year I have the opportunity to teach 8th grade. I'm excited about this for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I get some of my students back and we can continue to build on the skills we were developing during their 7th grade year. In addition to 7th grade - and now 8th grade - I teach 9-12 grade ELA during summer school.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Contact me.
PHONE (*leave a message for me at the office) - (208) 922-1002
What's your story, Mrs. T?!
I grew up on an 80 acre farm in Rupert, ID. There wasn’t a whole lot to do in Rupert other than cause trouble. Which I did. I also learned a lot about cars, tractors, crops, and animals during that time, too, most of which I felt would be completely irrelevant in the glamorous life I was to lead in Boston, MA as a big-time broadcast journalist.
Obviously that didn’t happen - turns out my voice is too high pitched and my nose is too big for TV. Fate - and a lot of awesome decisions - landed me in a different B-Town which I’ve been happy to call home for the past 13 years.
Here’s me in a nutshell:
- I look grumpy a lot - not because I am, but because I’m usually deep in thought or contemplating the merits of chocolate. I’m working on it… I hear Botox helps.
- HP fan (duh... have you seen my classroom??)
- I love to travel and have been to Costa Rica, Panama, London, Dublin, San Fran, and Amsterdam. I'd like to travel to more places within the U.S. and Europe.
- I enjoy all things scary, spooky and macabre - movies, creatures, stories (fiction and non-fiction), abandoned and or haunted places, eek!
- I absolutely love dogs. They are the best invention ever. The snout of the dog is my favorite. I love dog snout.
- I have two dogs - Pippa Odette (Golden Retriever) and Hugo Leroy (Boston Terrier). I am the human they follow around the house all of the time. Pippa had a litter of Golden Doodles last year (they were born in our closet under the stairs, so naturally I named them after HP characters). We're planning to breed her again this spring and keep one of her pups. So, soon I'll have THREE dogs. Dogs dogs dogs dogs dogs. I heart dogs.
- Favorite TV shows: Top Gear & Grand Tour, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Fringe, and horrible BBC mysteries
- Favorite Movie: HP & the Deathly Hallows (both) and Jane Eyre (Masterpiece Theater)
- I like to smell things - it’s just one of my quirks
- I am catastrophically clumsy
- Pre-kids I used to snowboard, wakeboard, and teach skateboarding lessons
- Post-kids I do a lot of laundry, reading, and dish washin’
- I have two daughters - Gwen (5) & Hadley (3). They’re the beautiful chaos that I didn’t know was missing from my life
- My husband, Matthew, is a goofball. We met in college. He had hair and was wearing a toga. Now he’s balding and wears a button-up and a tie.
- I like to organize things and collect items in a series
- I like to cook and create things in the kitchen and wish I had more time to do so
- Favorite meals are mole enchiladas and giant bowl of pho