Welcome to Senior News
Updated COVID-19 information for seniors!
- MOST IMPORTANT IS FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY TO STAY HEALTHY! PLEASE REACH OUT TO ME WITH ANYTHING YOU NEED. I AM HERE TO LISTEN TO YOUR CONCERNS AND HELP IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. I ENCOURAGE YOU TO REACH OUT TO ONE FAMILY MEMBER/FRIEND A DAY TO CHECK ON THEM! THIS IS A TIME TO COME TOGETHER AND EVERYTHING ELSE WILL WORK OUT ON ITS OWN! DON'T PANIC AND LET GO OF WHAT YOU CAN'T CONTROL. WE WILL SEND OUT INFORMATION AS SOON AS ANYTHING PERTINENT CHANGES AND NOTIFICATION IS REQUIRED.
- TN Promise mandatory webinar deadline to secure TN Promise funds has been extended to May 15, 2020. Please be mindful you must still apply for a post-secondary institution by April 1, 2020. They may change this to an alternative date but it has not changed yet. TN Promise volunteer hours deadline is still July 1, 2020 and can be submitted via their website or the link provided below. https://tnachieves.org/community-service/
- Some scholarship deadlines have been extended and some have not. Please be mindful of those deadlines and what the requirements are. I have uploaded hard copies of the ones I am able to at the bottom of this page under scholarship headline and on the scholarship tab at top of this page. If you need a transcript for these please email me your name and what scholarship it's for. Do NOT text me this info. I get a huge amount of texts daily and I don't want your text lost in the shuffle when it comes to a transcript for a scholarship. YOU the student must email me NOT a parent. I can NOT except a request from a parent. If a scholarship is to be turned in to me, please hold on to those until we return to school. If something changes, I will notify you and make arrangements for those to be emailed to me.
- The following below are admission contacts for the majority of the major colleges PHS students will attend. Please use these resources to reach out for any questions you may have regarding fall admission. This is all changing daily as we have never been in a situation such as the one we are all experiencing. They are there to help you and answer any questions you have. Please be patient with them if you don't get an immediate response. I am sure they are overwhelmed and learning this new way of advising , as we all are. If I do not have your college listed below please visit their website to connect with their admission staff.
Pellissippi- Sarah Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
UTK- Tyler Lewelling email@example.com
Tennessee Tech- Frank TIttle firstname.lastname@example.org
Carson Newman- Elizabeth Childress email@example.com
Tusculum University- Allison Morton firstname.lastname@example.org
Maryville college- Megan Costanzo email@example.com
ETSU- Gabe Hackett HACKETTG@etsu.edu
Roane State- Stephanie Cowden firstname.lastname@example.org
MTSU- Becca Smitty email@example.com
UTC- Ellie Davis firstname.lastname@example.org
TCAT- Yolanda Williams email@example.com
Austin Peay- Dana Alley firstname.lastname@example.org
LMU- Hannah Wilson email@example.com
- PLEASE DO NOT TEXT ME OR EMAIL ME ABOUT PROM OR GRADUATION! I DO NOT HAVE THOSE ANSWERS FOR YOU! THOSE DIRECTIVES WILL COME FROM PHS ADMINISTRATION AND WHEN AND IF DECISIONS ARE MADE YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED BY PHS ADMINISTRATION. EVERYTHING UNTIL APRIL 24 IS ON HOLD! EVERYTHING! YES THAT MEANS WHATEVER IS ON THE CALENDAR IS ON HOLD. I DO NOT HAVE ANSWERS TO WHEN THINGS WILL BE RESCHEDULED. DR. SMITH WILL RELAY THAT INFORMATION WHEN TEACHERS ARE ALLOWED BACK IN THE BUILDING AND THAT ISN'T UNTIL APRIL 24! HANG TIGHT!
*FAFSA is OPEN for business. Complete your FAFSA by February 7, 2020 in order to receive your TN Promise funds. FAFSA Frenzy is Wednesday, January 22, 8:30-12 pm in the Library. You may do this on your own at http://fafsa.ed.gov
*If you have NOT created your FSA-ID you may do so at http://fsaid.ed.gov This must be done in order to sign and submit your FAFSA.
*Follow us on Twitter @PowellHS_CCC
*Please sign up for the senior class remind. This is critical to receive important information. Parents also need to sign up. Text code @98ageg to 810-10
*Scholarship page - Make sure you are checking the scholarship page and the open house and program page. This is your most up to date information.
*All 18 year old men are required by federal law to register with the U.S. Selective Service. Register online at SSS.gov.
*Upcoming important senior dates*
Class of 2020 Important Dates
January 16, 2020 School-wide Renaissance Speaker -- 10:00-12:00 in Gym
January 17, 2020 Deadline to register for February 8th ACT
January 25, 2020 Optional ACT Boot Camp-- 9:00-1:00 in Library
February 1, 2020 FAFSA Deadline for TN Promise Eligibility
February 8, 2020 National ACT Test
February 13, 2020 Renaissance Rally -- 10:00 in Auditorium
February 18, 2020 Prom tickets go one sale before school & after school -- $30/single, $55/couple
March (TBD), 2020 Field Trip to TN Tech
March 13, 2020 Deadline to register for April 4th ACT
March 16-20, 2020 SPRING BREAK
March 23, 2020 Prom ticket prices increase -- $35/single, $65/couple *SUBJECT TO CHANGE
March 25, 2020 MANDATORY TN Promise Meeting--5:30pm in Gym (students MUST attend) CANCELLED March 26, 2020 The Emory’s --Recognizing PHS Top Scholars *subject to change* CANCELLED
April 1, 2020 Deadline to apply to a college in order to use TN Promise money
April 6, 2020 Prom ticket prices increase-- $40/single, $70/couple *SUBJECT TO CHANGE
April 4, 2020 National ACT Test CANCELLED April 9, 2020 Senior Supply Delivery Day; Breakfast--9:00 am in the Cafeteria, Supplies delivered - 10:15 am in the Auditorium April 24, 2020 Senior Exit forms due
April 29, 2020 Last Day to purchase Prom Tickets and turn in guest forms *SUBJECT TO CHANGE
May 1, 2020 College Signing Day/Post-Secondary Luncheon--10:00-2:00pm *SUBJECT TO CHANGE
May 4, 2020 Senior Awards--10:00 am on the Football field *SUBJECT TO CHANGE
May 6, 2020 3rd & 4th Block Senior Exams *SUBJECT TO CHANGE
May 7, 2020 1st & 2nd Block Senior Exams*SUBJECT TO CHANGE
May 8, 2020 Senior Prom--6:00-10:00 at the Park Pavilion at The Tennessean*SUBJECT TO CHANGE
May 14, 2020 Mandatory Graduation Practice – 12:00 pm at Thompson-Boling Arena *SUBJECT TO CHANGE
**KCS transportation provided; MUST see Coach Porter to sign up by May 1st**
(IMPORTANT NEW DATE ) May 15, 2020 Mandatory TN Promise video link must be completed
May 16, 2020 Graduation – 9:00 am at Thompson-Boling Arena
**Seniors need to arrive by 8:00 am**
May 22, 2020 Deadline to register for June 13th ACT
June 13, 2020 National ACT Test
Graduation Dress Code
Mandatory Gentleman will wear dress pants, dress shirt and tie, and dark colored dress shoes with graduation gown, cap, stole, etc. No cowboy or work boots, tennis shoes, or flip flops for footwear. No jeans. **Boys needing assistance with the mandatory dress requirements need to see Mr. Greg Bruce (room 308) ASAP.
Mandatory Ladies will wear dresses or dress slacks/blouse with graduation gown,cap, stole, etc. No cowboy or work boots, tennis shoes, or flip flops or footwear. No jeans.
**Girls needing assistance with the mandatory dress requirements need to see Mrs. Beth Myer (room 116) ASAP.
Big Scholarship Deadlines (You may apply to most of these online or pick up hard copy in Mrs. Taylor's office...see tab above for scholarships and more info and hard copies)
PHS Students only:
Beta Sigma Phi of Powell Scholarship- April 24, 2020 (must now be mailed) hard copy under scholarship tab
Bradley Pope Memorial Scholarship- Apr 24, 2020 (must be emailed to Mrs. Taylor) hard copy not available yet
Vicki Dunaway Memorial Scholarship- Apr 24, 2020 (must now be mailed) hard copy under scholarship tab
Bryce Olinger Memorial Scholarship- Apr 24, 2020 (must now be mailed) hard copy under scholarship tab
Knox County students only:
PIE (Barney Thompson)Online link - Mar 27, 2020
Commercial Bank, Life Made Better Online link - April 30, 2020
Regions Bank (Shepherd Scholarship) Online link- May 1, 2020
Contact Persons at Powell High School 865-938-2171
Mrs. White or Mrs. Raven Raby- Everything Prom firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 74627 email@example.com or extension 74676
Mrs. Lanius- Verification of Graduation status, transcripts, … firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 74613
Mrs. Taylor- Mrs. Taylor- Senior exit forms, senior exit meetings (early grads and regular grads), college applications, scholarships, transcripts for scholarships, FAFSA, TN Promise, anything post-secondary. email@example.com or extension 74615
Mr. Porter- Graduation supplies, supplies delivery, Graduation practice, Graduation firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 74656
Mr. Bruce- Mandatory attire for Graduation for Boys email@example.com or extension 74696
Mrs. Meyer- Mandatory attire for Graduation for Girls firstname.lastname@example.org or extension 74681
Mrs. Speegle- Senior Debt list/Diploma HOLDs email@example.com or extension 74610
JOSTENS ordering contact information:
* 1-800-JOSTENS or 1-800-567-8367
Please contact Mrs. Taylor with any questions! Text me on Remind or email me at Cassidy.firstname.lastname@example.org
College and Career Readiness Advisor