Ms. Ellis's Classroom Newsletter
What we will be learning:
Spelling: Unit 18: k and kw sounds
- list comes home in the assignment notebook first day of the school week
- Spelling City is a great place to practice spelling words.
- The test will be on Friday with 3 dictation sentences. The first 8 words will be written in cursive.
Technology Wins the Game
Essential Question: How do inventions help athletes?
Target Skill: Text and Graphic Features; Sequence of Events
Target Strategy: Question
Phonics: oi and oy diphthongs
Grammar: More Plural Nouns
Vocabulary Strategy: Suffixes: less, ous, ful
Writing: Opinion Writing
Focus Trait: Elaboration
Handwriting: uppercase letters and joinings
Module 5: Fractions as numbers
- Specify and partition a whole into equal parts, identifying and counting unit fractions using concrete models.
- Specify and partition a whole into equal parts, identifying and counting unit fractions by folding fraction strips.
- Specify and partition a whole into equal parts, identifying and counting unit fractions by drawing pictorial area models.
- Represent and identify fractional parts of different wholes.
- Tuesday: Addition
- Thursday: Subtraction
- Monday and Wednesday: Multiplication
- Friday: Division
- Biography research
- The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- National Government
- Respect is January's character trait.
- Check out Mr. N's P.E. Website.
- Spring Picture Day: Feb. 21st.
- Look for an electronic sign up for parent/teacher conferences.
- 2nd quarter report cards come home Jan. 18th.
- We are going on a field trip to see Aladdin Jr. on Feb. 7th. Please send in your permission slip and $8.50 by Friday, Jan. 25th.
- Please complete the parent survey for our school: 5 Essential Survey.
- Poster Book Report is due Feb. 8th.
- Please let me know if you would like to be a mystery reader. We would love to have you!
- Please join SeeSaw if you have not already. Students will be uploading to their journal at least once a week.
- Reading Fluency Folders go home every Thursday! Look for a colored baggie to come home with a small book for your child to read and for you to read with your child. Folders should be returned on Monday. Please work on having your student read the text accurately, quickly, and with expression. Students should be reading the book at least 3 different times.
- Please feel free to email me ANYTIME at email@example.com. I will respond, day or night.
- Please send in Box Tops anytime! Thank you so much for your support!!
- Please sign (or initial) your child's assignment notebook nightly.