We want to make sure that you have the tools you need to build the translator community and share information among the volunteers in your language.
Google Group--We will extend you management access to a Google Group (and its corresponding mailing list) for your language which we hope will serve as an outreach and coordination tool. You are welcome to establish additional avenues of outreach (eg. Facebook, Twitter, etc.) but given the universal usage of emails, we think your Google Group should be the backbone of your effort.
We envision that each Google Group will have:
- A welcome message to the volunteers from the Advocate (preferably in your language)
- Resources that may be helpful to volunteers
- Shared stories/tips/techniques
- Data about number of subtitled or dubbed videos in the language
Each Advocate is free to develop the content in your Google Group further as you see fit. To start the process, we ask that you do the following:
- Draft a welcome message for your Group. A suggested message (preferably translated into your language):
"Welcome to the translators community! We are a group of volunteers committed to translating Khan Academy content into your language. The purpose of this group is to provide resources and a forum for discussion for our community. We are excited to join you in this effort to bring a free, world-class education to the world!"
- The Translations Team will provide you with the email addresses for the volunteers in your language. Send an invitation to all your volunteers describing the Google Group, what information it will contain and inviting them to join. This can be done in two ways (we recommend doing both):
- Send a mass email (Bcc everyone on the list) from your own email account to all your volunteers with instructions for how to join the group. Anyone can subscribe to your translators' community Google Group by sending a blank email (no subject, no body) to your firstname.lastname@example.org. Where your language is as listed here. For example, to join the Spanish list, you would send an email to email@example.com. They will instantly receive a verification email which once they confirm will make them part of the group and enroll them on its corresponding mailing list. From then on, they along with all other community members will receive any email sent to your firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send a mass invitation from the group itself (see following link). Volunteers are added to the group mailing list when they respond to the invitation.
Resources for Volunteers—Advocates are the primary point of contact for our language volunteers. There are several resources available for Advocates as you orient new volunteers to the translation process:
- Detailed instructions and how-to videos on how to subtitle or voice-over videos can be found here.
- Instructions on how to navigate the index of videos to subtitle here.
- Some “Tips for Translators” are available here.
Feel free to include links to the above resources on your Google group.