Previously Translated and Mapped videos
It might take you 2 hours for 10 mins. of video
Commitment: completing the video you start
SELECT A VIDEO
Copy corresponding Youtube URL of the Khan Academy video.
- Go to Amara.org
- Enter copied url of Youtube video in the dialog box shown below on the Amara site
- Submit to begin subtitling the video
Type subtitles as you listen to the video in 8 second increments. Once completed, synchronize the subtitles with the voice. You're done!
- For non-Roman languages, you can use Google Bookmarklet which automatically converts whatever you type in the text box from Roman characters to the corresponding language specific characters (this feature is not available on universalsubtitles.org yet).
- All videos are being captioned in English professionally and the process should be completed by March 1st, 2014.
- Google Translate can provide a first draft of the translated subtitles to work with.
- Segment sentences so they are short. Ideally one line per screen, without wrap around or multiple lines.
- Each line should be a meaningful sentence, or a partial sentence with meaning.
- Use symbols instead of text. For example, 1+2 instead of "one plus two", or 50% instead of fifty percent.
- Here is an example of re-segmenting the English transcripts.
ERRORS IN SUBTITLES
If you see any erroneous subtitles, go right ahead and change them by following this step onward!