The content admin tool is located at http://khanacademy.org/devadmin/content
. It is only accessible to developer accounts. It can be used to create and edit videos and exercises, as well as organizing them into a tree of topics.
The three components of the admin tool are:
1. The header
This section shows the information for the current version of the topic tree that is being viewed/edited. The versions are tracked in numerical order. There is always exactly one editing version where changes are staged, and exactly one live version that is what is currently visible on the Khan Academy homepage.
- Publish to website: If the currently viewed version is the editing version, publishes staged changes to the live site and create a new editing version. This process may take a few minutes.
- Export to file: Exports the entire topic tree to a text file.
- View all versions: Displays a dialog with a list of all the versions in the datastore with titles and descriptions. You can select any version to view, but only the editing version can be modified.
- Title/Description: Fields that are visible in the admin tool only, to show what changes have been made in this version.
2. The topic tree
This section shows the tree of topics, and all the videos, exercises, and URLs in it. Topics can be hidden, in which case they are not visible anywhere on the site even when the version is published.
- Search (top-right corner): Click on this to display the search bar. This can be used to search for content in the tree by title.
- Unreferenced Content (end of the topics list): Opening this node will fetch a list of all the videos and exercises that are not currently placed in any topic.
- Right-click menu: All topic, video, or exercise actions can be executed by right-clicking on the node in the tree. (See actions below)
- Drag and drop: Nodes can be reordered or moved between topics by dragging and dropping them.
3. The content pane
This section shows the properties of the topic, video, or exercise selected in the tree. The action buttons at the top are identical to the right-click menu in the tree. All the editable properties of the object should be listed.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Changes made in the content pane are not saved until you click the Save button! Those changes will be saved to the editing version of the tree (and are NOT visible to users) until that tree is published.
4. Content actions
Actions are accessible through the right-click menu and on the content pane when a node is selected.
The possible actions for a topic are:
- Add subtopic: Create a new topic as a child of the selected topic.
- Add custom stack: Create a new custom stack in the datastore, select exercises to include in the custom stack, and insert it into the current topic.
- Add new video: Find a YouTube video by YouTube ID, add it to the datastore, and insert it into the current topic.
- Add existing video: Find a video already in the datastore and insert it into the current topic.
- Add new exercise: Create a new exercise in the datastore and insert it into the current topic.
- Add existing exercise: Find an exercise already in the datastore and insert it into the current topic.
- Add new URL: Add a new URL (a non-YouTube link to an external site) to the datastore and insert it into the current topic.
- Export topic: Writes out a file with the entire contents of the selected topic, including all its children.
- Add imported topic: Reads in a file, creates the tree of topics and content from the file and inserts the root topic as a child of the selected topic. (Not yet implemented)
- Paste item: Pastes an item that is in the copy buffer as a child of the selected topic.
- Delete topic: Deletes the current topic and all its children from the current version. Content nodes (videos/exercises) will not be deleted but may become unreachable if they are not in a topic.
The possible actions for a video or exercise are:
- Cut: Prepares the currently selected content to be moved to a new topic using the "Paste item" action.
- Copy: Copies the currently selected content to the copy buffer to be duplicated into a new topic using the "Paste item" action.
- Paste here: Similar to "Paste item" on a topic, but places the content immediately before the currently selected content in that content's direct parent.
- Remove from topic: Removes the selected content from the parent, but does not delete it. Content nodes may become unreachable if they are not in a topic.