Allison Jones‎ > ‎


Also you can visit my other blog at The Life of 5 Toes.

The Weather

So the weather here in Canada is like riding an unknown roller coaster. I am getting whiplash from all of the different types of weather that we have experienced. When I arrived at the village there was no snow on the ground and it was raining, just slightly. four days later there was four feet of new snow on the ground and the Smurfs were making snowmen eight feet tall. Today it pissed rain all day and the snow washed away. I am not sure of to make of this place. Do I tell people that it is a great place, because when the sun is out it really is beautiful, but if it raining while skiing I am not going to tell anybody how great that it because that sucks. My teammates had to race in it and I am most likely going to have to as well. I am not sure what to tell my folks. So last night at the meeting we were told misting to light rain, and it effing poured all day long. Tonight we were to light snow to rain, so should I expect a blizzard to torrential down pour and flash flooding reports. All I know is that I am going to have four pairs of goggles ready, three jackets, two pairs of gloves, and a dry sock. On the bright side I can add this to the list of shit you never thought you would do while skiing. I have skied in the rain before but not at a Paralympic Games. It will be a nice wrench in the works for those who need perfect conditions. I just plan on have a ton of fun and living life to the fullest. 

Ooh yeah I should probably let everybody know that I finished fifth in the slalom. Not my best showing of slalom technique but I am happy. I will be able to move on to the rest of the events knowing that there is going to be no more pressure. I am here to have a good time and enjoy my friends and surroundings.

Opening Ceremonies

So I have been asked the last couple of days what my favorite part of the Opening Ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Paralympics were I don't have to think long to respond, "The part where we walked in." This for two reasons, first was that there is nothing more amazing then to walk into a stadium that is 60,000 full and they are there for you, second is the fact that was all I got to see. Hind sight is a bitch but I was thinking about performance and staying up until midnight the night before the scheduled downhill didn't sound like a good idea. So my Opening Ceremonies consist of me riding the two and a half hour bus ride with the team to BC Place, going through the airlock, then sitting with team USA, then marching into the stadium with Team USA, and then sitting for about 10 seconds and then walking out, and then back on to the bus with other wishing to depart early, and finally getting back to the Village seven hours after we left. 
My Family attended and they enjoyed it very much. They did the drive up after ceremonies had finished. I am glad that they are here. It is fun to be able to share this experience with my family, specially the Aunts and Uncle that made it up from Texas. Unfortunately for them with all of the rain and fog they will only get to see one race, the Slalom, for the downhill, super-g, super combine were postponed until later in the week when the weather was supposed to be better. That is the bummers of an outdoor sport and those who can handle it are the ones that are going to win.

What it means to be at the 2010 Paralympic Games

I have made it to the Village. It is an amazing place here. I feel like I am back at college except I know everybody and everybody is here to perform at their best. There is the feeling of an elite society that are here to do what they signed up for and do that at the best that they can. I am glad to be here. I am glad to be apart of this elite society. There are twenty-seven Alpine skiers representing the Country. I am representing one of fifty-three athletes, that is as an individual I am represent 5.8 million people. I hold that on my shoulders and walk proud. I am proud to be an American. I am excited to be competing for America. 

I have had a couple of good days here so far. The first day was just a chill day. I got to explore the Village a bit. I bought the souvenirs that I wanted for myself. Expensive, but luckily I got to use my Visa gift cards well, thank you CTAM and USOC. I also made it to the hill. What a cool experience to be able to stand in the finish coral before the racers and spectators showed up. Standing there was truly breath taking. 

On the second day I went free skiing on my downhill skis to get used to those again. The skiing was fun. After the skiing I went up and watched the test skiers of the downhill. They all did really well and it was cool to see what my family is going to see. After that I went to the gym and did got a workout in and then chilled the rest of the day.

On Wednesday we got to run the downhill. The downhill is going to be fun. Unfortunately there is a lot of new snow and a lot of fog. We were on a three hour delay. I did get to run but the men's standing did not. I was happy that I got to run. It is done and over with and even if the next run is just the race I will be ready and happy. And on that note today's run was canceled due to snow. There was at least six inches of new snow here at the Village so add a bit more and that is how much there is at the mountain. The great news is that there is more on the way. Downhill always brings out the best weather. 

I get the day off and I get to have another day to get ready. I am ready.

Vancouver 2010

I have made it to Vancouver. I have my credentials, my backpack, and my ski boot. I am ready to ski. Yesterday was a ride for sure. After a great night in Denver with Kevin, our physio, John Whitney and I made our way to the hotel for team processing. Four times I have been through the gauntlet of getting Paralympic apparel, not once did I imagine that we could get more, and yet each time I go through I get more clothing then I know what to do with. This time through I came out with three duffle bags full of Ralph Lauren and Nike. I brought so much clothing with me I don’t need to do laundry while I am here. 

Today was the travel day. Starting way too early we ate breakfast and got onto a bus to the airport. We got there three hours before the flight left for Vancouver. I would understand the time schedule if we had to check in everybody’s luggage, but we didn’t. USOC took our luggage the night before and all we had to do was check-in. Once in the terminal I took Rob and Danelle up to the Red Carpet club seeing that I was flying internationally and cause I could. The flight was no problem up in first class. I like upgrades. Now I am sitting on the bus heading up to the Whistler Village. Things should go easy from here on out.

Feb 27th

The final prep

So I sit here today realizing that the beginning of the final race series is here. What has gotten me here and where have I been? Well I should start at the first camp that I attended on snow in the fall, a three week camp that consisted of two weeks of training and a week of racing. That was in the summit county area where we trained out of Copper Mountain, workout in Breckenridge, and stayed in Keystone. Our races were in Copper Mountain and Winter Park. I was able to win all of the races and actually score points in the Giant Slalom in Copper Mountain. After the Holidays and a bit more training out of Winter Park, I was off to Europe for the World Cup Series.

The first races were held in RollRinn, Austria, where both Innsbruck Olympic Downhills were held. I had a horrible Giant Slalom and an awesome Slalom there. That Slalom would be the last great race in Austria. I had a lot of good runs in Abtenau, Austria, but never in the same race. After that we traveled across Austria and the upper bit of Italy, practically to France, where we stopped at a little hill called Sestriere. I guess it isn't really that small, the Olympics and Paralympics. I got my groove back. After an expected middle of the pack finish in the downhill I put it down in the Super-G and the Super Combined. I finish the series with two more silvers and a bronze. I left Europe with three slivers and the bronze.

After a week off I went up to Winter Park for some awesome training on Cheshire Cat, some Super-G and Giant Slalom. Next I went up to Kimberly, BC, for a speed series, well more training for me. I was there to help others with lowering points but I was there to train. I was skiing most of the morning. I like that hill, very rollie and nice quick steep pitches on wide runs. I won all of the races here as well but again not really a race for me, no international competition, mostly regional racers.

Now that puts us at the last set of events. I competed at the Wells Fargo Bank Cup and World Disable Invitational. I managed to finish second in both races. The World Disabled Invitational was raced on my twin tip all mountain ski. From Winter Park I drove down to Colorado Springs, packed up my car for April 3rd and then drove up to Vail for the final camp.
The Camp went really well. I have found new confidence in Giant Slalom, which doesn't amount to much but I feel better. The Slalom and Super-G training was top notch. After a bit of shopping in Dillon I made my way west to Carbondale to get ready for the World Cup Finals in Aspen. I am ready. This is just training for the real event in a couple of weeks. We have gotten our suits and jackets for competition but still await to get our Paralympic gear on the 7th. I am still trying to weed out the things that I don't need through the rest of the month. Not sure how I am going to do that but I am sure that I will figure that out. Until then I am ready for the games. These races here in Aspen are the final tuning to tactics and technique needed for Whistler.

Feb 22nd

Vancouver 2010 Paralympics or Bust

Well it is official, I am on the road with the grand stop being the 2010 Winter Paralympics in Vancouver, BC. CRAZY!! I won't be home again until April 3rd. That is a long time from now but I am sure at the end of the trip, it will feel like time just flew by. So let me tell you every where I am going, first stop is Vail for a final team training camp, then onto Aspen for World Cup Finals, then down to Denver for team processing, up to Vancouver and Whistler for the Paralympics, and a little vacation while driving to Big Sky, MT, for nationals. That covers from today until April 3rd. CRAZY!!!

I think that this camp is going to be awesome. Not to many people are taking advantage of the free housing and the good training in Vail. I am glad to be here. Four guys and girls, with five staff. Pretty nice ratio. There has also been a fair bit of new snow here. The new snow is great for covering all of the rocks that reek havoc on skis but it will mean soft conditions for training. I guess you can't have the best of both worlds and I am just glad to be training with the team again. These training days will be the last until we get to Vancouver. I am sure it will be great.

Jan 10th and 11th

Travel day was an easy day. After washing the stink of cigarettes off of me I packed my bags, ate breakfast, loaded up the cargo, watched the first run on the slalom World Cup, got into the van, and drove to Abtenau. Abtenau is just outside of Salzburg, Austria. The drive, which took us the length of Austria, only took us 2 hours. I am so used to driving 2 hours and not be at the ski hill yet. I got checked into the room and then went to lunch with Rob and Danelle where we were joined by Marcel and Stephani. I had a pizza with thinly sliced ham and cheese. After that I unpacked a bit and then took a nap that led to dinner. After dinner we went to the opening ceremonies in the little town square. The ceremony was a good celebration where the local kids did a performance of the Lion King in German, strange but okay.

I finally got a good night sleep and didn’t want to wake up. At least I woke up hungry, which was good since I didn’t eat much at dinner. Abtenau is hurting for snow. There truly is only a ribbon of death that is the race hill. If you were to ski out of the ribbon you would be skiing on the lightly covered pasture. The snow that is there is good snow though, all manmade and completely firm edge-able. I had a good day except for the racing bit. The first run was slow, with mistakes on the little pitch into the flat on both runs, with the second run being a complete stop. My skiing was good on the second run so I am not that disappointed but which I could have had a better day. Ooh well, there is tomorrow. I will indeed go for the win and hopefully a spot on the overall podium but that is an afterthought.

Jan 8th and 9th

So I didn’t get to blog yesterday because the day never ended and I wanted to get some sleep. So starting on the morning of the 8th, which started way too early at 3am, I was ready for the GS.  I thought I was ready at least.  It snowed up here but it is really humid so the snow is full of water.  Well at night that water froze and made the slope slick in spots, not New England boiler plate frozen, just slick.  My head got in the way once I saw that.  I knew I could ski it but for some reason I thought, as Ian my coach put, I needed to micro manage my foot instead of trusting what I can do.  The first run was horrible.  I made it but it was slow, so slow that I was last.  So, on the second run I thought I would redeem myself by just going for it and doing what I know I can do.  It was going so well, I kept my foot in the fall line and I trusted the ski on both turns and I was nailing it.  Just as I thought I was out of the woods for the truly slick spot I tipped in and slid on my hip, no big deal usually I just pop right back up, well I slid into a mashed potato burm and my ski and outrigger were stuck.  After I floundered for a while I got back up and finished the run, again skiing really well.  I wasn’t necessarily disappointed not thrilled.  I know that I have it in me to do really well and I showed moments of brilliance so I will bring what I know I can do in the GS to Abtenau to show everybody that I can be more than a one event racer. 


We didn’t get off the hill until really late and had to be back up the mountain for an opening ceremonies banquet.  We had about one hour to shower and change and pack for today.  At the banquet we quickly learned that we were way too early, by like an hour or so.  We ate dinner before the rest of the world and proceeded to head outside so that we could be announced back inside the tent. It seemed in a matter of minutes though that the whole place was filled with smoke and I felt and smelt like an ashtray.  Austria has yet to catch up with the rest of the world with where and where one can smoke, even France has made changes.  After a long awards ceremony, Stephani and Chris both made it up on to the podium, and Danelle and Rob were recognized for their 4th place finish.  Once the awards were over we headed back to the hotel where I got a quick treatment on my IT band, pack the rest of my bag, and went to bed.  That night I slept like a rock in between waking up at 3am where I forced myself back to sleep. 


The morning of the slalom came with no new snow, which was fantastic.  I quickly proceeded up the t-bar to go ski the newly groomed run.  Unfortunately but what I am grateful for is the run I went to ski was groomed last it seemed.  The snow was too soft and my ski was prepped for the boiler plate stuff.  I was having a hard time trying not to ski to hard which just isn’t a good warm up.  I gave up just after one run and proceeded to make the journey up to the start of the course.  To get to the top of course it required going up a 12 min chair lift, skiing a thousand and one slalom turns down the Olympic downhill course and then skiing through a tunnel.  The hill was fantastic to ski down, a great mix between hard, man made, and soft.  The fog made it even more interesting partially because I hadn’t skied to the start yet and I had no clue where I was supposed to be going. I made it on the first try. I accidentally skied off without Kevin, our physio, and Jared, our tech, oops. I was having way too much fun to wait for them. 


I inspected the course where I quickly forgot the majority of the course and barely remembered where the key gates were but, makes me look ahead when I race.  I didn’t have that much time to hangout before the race started but, I tried to procrastinate as long as I could.  When I got to the top I thought I had timed it right but, I still seemed to have way too much time to waste at the start.  Kevin did a nice little message and stretch there in the start on my IT band, I did my jumping drills, stretched some more, and I tried to help the moral of my teammates who are still trying to get over the whole world cup skiing thing. What seemed like a life time but only took a couple of minutes I was done with my first run.  Somehow without my complete understanding I was sitting second after the first run.  When I came through the finish I would have sworn I was not at the front of the field, for that run was poop.  I ran the upper section in the low and late line and half way down I had to remind myself how to ski, not that I was skiing that bad but I wasn’t skiing up to my full potential.  


For the second run I definitely didn’t remember any of the course except for three parts, I knew the pitches were straight and fast with sucker gates at the bottom of both, there was a flush into a delay after the roll somewhere, and the last thing to remember was the hairpin into another hairpin.  I rode up the chairlift with Karo and she was asking about all of the combinations and I couldn’t answer because I didn’t know where they all were.  After a quick turnaround I was back up at the start for the second run.  This time around everything seemed rushed but there was no fire to put out.  Caitie and Gwen were up first then quickly followed by Rob and Danelle.  I got to wait for the rest of the VI field and almost the entire standup field.  After Rob and Danelle left the start Kevin rushed up to the ready area, quickly massaged and stretched my hip out, I got undressed, rushed into my ski, kicked the burm that had formed, launched into the air, landed, scared the pants off some random guy, and then just hung out in the start.  Once I was on course I realized how fast the course was. The first 5 or 6 gates were gone in seconds, from there I just remember telling myself to go faster and faster.  I couldn’t have been on a single edge for that long because I all I remember was thinking about keeping my ski going straight down the hill.  All of the combinations and crazy gates came and went very quickly and without any difficulty.  At the finish the announcer confirmed that I had a great run.  Next I had to wait for the last standing racer to come down.  I waited and waited, until finally she finished and the announcer took his sweet time to announce that she had won by two one-hundredths of a second, .02 seconds.  That was so, so close. Even though I lost the race, I knew that I had won that run.  After a lot of hugs, euro kisses, and congratulation to and from everybody we were off the hill and headed home by 1:45. Awesome compared to yesterday’s 4:30. 


We were to set off for the awards banquet at 7:30 that night so I managed to do a recovery workout with Caitie and Danelle on the stairs and in the hallway, cleanup, have Kevin put my SI joint back into alignment, and take a nap, all before 7:30.  I didn’t even start to pack really. The banquet seemed to go forever with a fashion walk of an Austrian brand of ski clothes and skis. Not all that impressed.  I got my award and Danelle and Rob, 4th, Caitie and Gwen, 6th, Stephani, 4th, and Alana, 5th, all got recognized for their top 6 finishes.  Once back Rob, Danelle, John, and I went to a Karaoke bar and enjoyed each other company for a couple of rounds and a couple of horribly sung songs.  Overall I had a great race and good company to share it with.


Jan 7th

Today was a good day.  I was up early for some reason but didn’t feel so bad with the jet lag.  We went up to the mountain and did some training near where the races are going to be.  Lets me just say I am glad to be a girl and get to go towards the front of the race for there are 102 racers tomorrow and I am starting the first run 19th.  We trained on a course that was fully tracked out by the Austrian’s in the morning.  There was too much new snow to set a new course in the limited time that we had on the training hill. The training was a good insight to what we will be racing on tomorrow and how rutted out the firm snow. 

After training I went out and made up my own recovery workout patched together from what I have seen back in Colorado Springs.  With no real schedule here for recovery I had a good time making stuff up as I went along.  After that I basically did nothing, exactly what I needed to do.  I have been on the computer most the afternoon, deleting unwanted music, deleting duplicate messages, talking with Jon Graff, the magic man from, and then writing this.  I did venture out for a grocery run and dinner, so I am not a complete hermit but pretty close.

The race is tomorrow so I must be going…


Jan 6th


You ask what happened to the 5th, well that was mostly consumed be traveling on a plane and a van, then unpacking, dinner, a meeting, and reconnecting with the world.  I was able to sleep until 5:30am so that went really well.  The beds are Euro size, meaning small, two twins right next to each other, and the pillows are actually pillows, not slightly fluffed sacs of nothingness.  The hotel that we are staying in is located just outside of Innsbruck. There is a train right across the street to get into town if wanted, planning on that tonight. 


Today was a good day.  We went skiing at the race hill and it is beautiful up there.  I can see the entire valley and beyond from the top of the upper lift.  I was able to ski the downhill that was raced on in the 1976 Winter Olympic Games and it is a fast one.  I love the snow but not the terrain. I am having fun challenging myself with the slicker snow.  I am really grateful that we ran GS on the manmade snow in Winter Park.  I didn’t really look for the race hill but I am sure that I managed to ski it, hopefully, if not oh well, I will get there eventually. I did my T-bar riding in today.  I did a couple of runs just at the bottom which is nice for I could probably make 15 runs in an hour.

After we got back I went with some team members to the old part of Innsbruck where I found my favorite, probably the only one that I know of, Schnapps and Liquor store.  At this store you get to choose the size and shape of the bottle and then which liquor you want.  I went with the simple Fire Liquor in a cool little bottle. We then proceeded to have bratwurst from a cart in the middle of the square.  The brat was very filling and we headed back to the hotel where I proceeded to have a nap.  After some internet surfing while watching live ski jumping, a team meeting, dinner, and a shower I am ready for bed.  Tomorrow we are training some GS with the Brits on the lower practice hill.


European World Cup

Jan 4th

This is the begining of my European World Cup Trip.  It is going to be a memorable one for sure.  I am currently sitting in First Class on my flight to Chicago where I will connect to Munich.  I am going to enjoy this trip and it will be great to see everybody again. 

I am proud to say that I was able to check in all four luggage pieces free and the check in lady was very knd and helpful.  I feel bad that she had to lift all of that luggage for I did not pack lightly for this trip.  With that all set and done it is time to enjoy and relax for this is a long one.

Winter has come to Colorado

Winter has come and I am not ready for it.  First of all I am not in what I would call skiing shape.  Most tell me that I have set to high of expectations but I want to be the best is so the higher the standard the better I will be.  Second I don't want to pull my ski clothes out of storage just yet.  I want to wait but for tonight and tomorrow's Rockies games I am busting out the largest down jacket that I own, gloves as well.
Last night and today I spent almost 20min just de-icing my car. That is just wrong for this time of year.  I was mountain biking last year and now I am reduced to rollers in the hot box.  So not cool. 
Ooh well, winter is here and I must face it.  All that really changes is that instead of riding my bike to sports med and the gym, I get to negotiate a couple of iced over stairs and handrails and the slippery path.  I get to ride my road bike on the rollers instead of borrowing a mountain bike to cruise the front range. So now I must face the reality that winter has come, it may disappear for awhile but it will return.

2009 TT, Bogogno, Italy

Yesterday was the TT in Bogogno, Italy. It was a great course, corners, hills, false flats, downhill straight away. I had a good go ate it as well. Started the day off way to early, not having packed my bag until that morning. Made the mad dash for breakfast having to wait for 20 or so Asian Tourist. Departed the hotel at 7:15 for a 10:15 start. Greta and I were able to get onto the course to just roll a lap. Once we got back I found out that I was going out first in my class, meaning nobody to chase down. With that mess up I got to have Craig follow me in the car, thanks the lord Jeebus. Start went well, Greta had just passed the start for her second lap and I just went. Shortly after loosing sight of G, Sarah Story passed me and I paced off of her for a bit longer. I was having a good ride, trying not to over do it but not to slack off. I was able to take all of the turns with good speed at that, and then there was the stair step of hills. So the hills consisted of 3 minor climbs with the last two covering 1 kilometer. On the first hill I was doing great then I went to shift down to the little chain ring and my chain fell off to the inside because in my moment of no focus I forgot to shift the rear casset into the middle instead of leaving in the small gear on the inside. oops. That is why I am happy that I had a follow car and was able to get quick help from Chad who was riding shotgun for Craig. After that nothing dramatic happened and I rode like hell. I knew that I was behind at the end of the first lap so with encouragement from Craig over the radio I pedaled like crazy and mad up that time plus some more.
Un-factored I was 1st with a time of 32:30, Paula (New Zealand) 32:49, Barb 32:55.
Factored Barb move up to 32:04 and took the white jersey. Oh well I will make it up next year.
Greta got 2nd, Jenny got 2nd, Karissa & Mackenzie got 1st, Clark & Dave finish in 5th, Amazing, Craig V and Mike went 8th and 9th respectively. Good day for USA!!

September 9th, 2009

I had a really cool experience today and I am very proud of myself for it. While here in Europe I don't check my email much but try to do it daily. Well today I had a bit of a shocker, my third and never really even been used email account,, had a message waiting for me. I was completely taken aback but initially thought it was a system email from google or something like that. It wasn't though. A person, other then family, actual read my blog and bio. Who knew that I could be found. After responding to the email I figured two things were going for me. One was the fact that the money that I invested into my website and the many hours that my sister and I have spent on it was well worth it. The second thing is that since I now know that people, other then family again, are reading what I have to say, i thought it would be smart to step up my game on the blogging. So here it is, I am going to keep better attention to my website and to both blogs.


I love Italy, even on the muggy days. It is beautiful here and the people are very nice. The scenery is amazing and I am glad to have finally made it here during the summer and see just how green it gets. The company is also awesome. There is a new guy, normally referred to the FNG, but he has out right skipped that position with how nice and professional he is. During camp I was the escape from his roommate and now he stepped up and has been my escape from my roommate. We are staying at a very nice hotel and the staff here are awesome. The seemed to have already forgiven us for the fact that we can not speak Italian and are butchering what every we try to say in Italian, ie Poste Cardo when looking for a postcard.

So far this trip has gone by way to fast with not much getting done. Craig G. has had us riding only once a day, what a concept. I am not sure what to do with myself during the rest of the day. I am definitely getting more and more anxious for the race and I have had to stop myself multiple time from trying to second guess what I should and shouldn't do. Some race tomorrow, Oz, Alejandro, David, and Anthony, while the rest wait until the following day to slay the course.

Why make thinks simple, life would be boring otherwise!

A teammate of mine talked the other day about being in the moment.  I understood the comment and the idea behind it but I don't think I have every experienced "Being in the Moment" outside of sport.  Is this a bad thing? Am I not enjoying life to the fullest?  Should I slow down and just focus on today, the moment?

I have been pondering this for the last couple of days and I think that I am getting a better understanding of where I think that I should be.  I should be right where I am.  I am doing what I love to do and living a life style that I am almost content with.  I have a lot of ideas in my head of what I would like to do when I grow up and face the world outside of sport but I don't know if that world is what I am imagining it as.  I have only a couple of friends that would carry outside of sport and I am willing, almost wanting, to make more.  I am not sure what life has in store for me but I am sure I will enjoy the ride. I might be making some new radical decisions that will most likely shock the world for those that don't truly know me and what my desires in life truly are. 

How do you call it the end when life isn't over yet? I know that I am ending one chapter in my life but I have always had two or three going on all at once. So with end of one why not start another or two.  I know that I want to go back and pass the FE exam but I also have had some other prospect come into mind that I might go take advantage of.  If I got my way I would live the craziest life style possible that I could live.  I have no intention on making things boring or dull. Exciting, fun, and risk taking are what I have in store for my biography.

July 4th, 2009

The amazing thing about today is that yesterday is over.  Today is also the 4th of July, no one should be working, first of all it is a Saturday, second it is our day of birth as a country.  I woke up to watch the opening stage of Le Tour de France.  A great race to watch.  

So you may be asking why am I glad that yesterday is over, well yesterday was not a very good race day for me.  All I had to do was to keep my pursuit time in the 4:30's but I went all the way up to 4:53.  Dismal.  I had the first six laps and then I had nothing.  I could hold a pace, my final lap was in the 25 second range, and that is like watching paint dry.  My 500m on Thursday was great for the conditions at the velodrome. Nationals are over and now it is time to move on to the time trial event at the end of the month.  

I return home tomorrow for a couple of days and then I am back to Mt. Hood, OR. I am looking forward to skiing just not what it does to my cycling.  I want to go to worlds and I know that I need to ride a fast time in Bend but I am afraid of what the hard work on the hill is going to do off the hill.  Next week I am going to have to make some hard decisions. 

Mt Hood - June 27th, 2009

So a lot has happened since I last posted to this blog. I went to Korea and Whistler with the ski team and Manchester, England with cycling. Cycling has been awesome this year with some new PR's in England which was amazing considering it was May and I had only truly been riding for six weeks. I enjoy the bike so much that I look forward to hard workouts. You can see the results even though you feel exhausted at the end of the day. Training has hit an all time high even though I ride the same roads over and over, there is something there that makes the repetitive rides enjoyable. After Whistler I hope to find the same feeling on the skis. Bliss is such a great feeling I want to experience as much as possible and in any way that I could.

Hood is has been amazing. This is a camp that has had an impact with the whole team. Everybody is make huge leaps and bounds with their own ski technique and working together as a team. The staff is also amazing this camp, there has been no wasted time with redundant drills, which are sometimes necessary. We are being treated like adults and the respect is a major two highway, where athletes are respecting staff, staff are respecting athletes, and athletes are respecting athletes. There are no true rookies here yet so we are not a full compliment in the house but we are a great group of veterens.

Training for me has been awesome. I am back in the stiff boot and I feel great. Things are finally going forward and I am not struggling against an unknown force. I am a bit excited that we are not doing Super-Combined, slalom is awesome but it takes a higher toll on my body and now I will have a better chance of being ready for Nationals in LA, ooh yeah forgot to mention that I leave for LA in a couple of days. Scary...

April 29th, 2009

Hi World. I have been very busy and I have finally sat down to update this blog. My skiing season has long finished on a good note. After Korea, 2 silvers (slalom and the combined), we went to Whistler for the World cup finals. I loved the downhill; it was fast and fun with great snow conditions. The course crew what practically vacuuming the little bit of snow that they raked off the course. The Super Combined was a blast. I finished up 4th. The GS was tough but I went into with a light heart and just wanted to get through the day. The slalom was challenging, just for the fact that my right arm was dead and it snowed about a foot of cement. I got through the day finishing 3rd so not too bad.

We got 10 days off until nationals and I spent three of those days in DC for a US Paralympic Mentor seminar. I had a lot of fun hanging out with teammates and other Paralympians for the weekend. I got to go to the offices of both Colorado Senators.

After DC it was off to Winter Park for the US Nationals. I had fun hanging out with a family that I have known for a really long time. The team stayed at a hotel next to hill and I got to stay in Fraser. It was fun to just ski with no real competition. I started competing against the boys just to see where I would stack up. I got one fourth and a couple of 6th place finishes in the men's standing class and I swept the women's standing class. I had a good time hanging out with John and other long time friends.

After Nationals concluded I got straight onto the bike. I enjoy riding so much right now. I finished up Nationals on the 2nd of April. Spent the next weekend in Vail for SkiTAM but otherwise I have been on the bike. I catch myself riding hard 5 days in a row forgetting that I need to rest a little bit before jumping in head over heels.

I am currently at a cycling camp in Chula Vista, CA. I am having a blast and I am riding really well. I did a personal best on the time trial at the beginning of the week. I am at the point where I feel really fast but not yet strong enough to continue with the longer ride group just because of the hills that they are riding up. I am very happy with where I am at and I can't wait to start racing. Hopefull with the current success of my riding I can be privileged to join the small group of athletes traveling to Manchester, England for a Grand Prix there later in May. All smiles right now.

February 25th

Hello all,  there has been a lot of exciting stuff happening here in Korea.  I got another silver medal in the Super-Combine.  I finished the Super-G portion in 5th place only a second out of 3rd.  I won the slalom run by .8 seconds and that was enough to move my up to 2nd place, Yeah.  The next race was the Super-G, just one run, and I finished 6th, way off the leader but with a tight little group of people.  Today we are having an off day and I plan on doing nothing all day long.  I do have to go up the mountain to have lunch but I don't have to ski, just take the gondola.  I am having a blast though.  I am looking forward to the Downhill.  I don't expect to do that well but I will have fun doing it, yeah.

February 20th (Korea Standard Time)

Hello All.  Sorry for the non-updates but when I don't race it isn't all that exciting and I would like to save this blog for really cool events.  I am currently in Kwangland, S. Korea at the High 1 Ski Resort for the 2009 IPC Alpine Skiing World Champion.  I left Colorado Springs at 4:30am on Tuesday and arrived to the hotel at 3am Thursday morning, Korea Standard Time.  We trained some slalom later that day after a couple hours of sleep. 
So to the race.  The courses were awesome this year, proper gates and barely any turning involved.  I had a great 1st run, finishing 1st by 8 hundredths of a second.  I just skied.  I did get some awesome training in at the WP.  Second run was going just as well until I flew through a flush and something strange happened not sure what and then the next thing I know my left rigger was no longer supporting me.  I tried it again and again it was not there.  So for those who know me I just needed to know what was going on, so in the middle of the race I decided to look down at my rigger.  It was turned in 45 degrees, oh shit.  I tried my very best to turn to the left but for some reason I could just do it so from that point on I had really good right turn and really bad left turns.  I knew I lost the race but I was still eager to see where I finished.  2nd place not bad, I am happy and so is my team.  Even though 2nd in not 1st it still feels like it. 
Tomorrow GS Yeah!!

January 24th, 2009

I am loving life.  We drove the 8 hours from Spain to Italy on the 17th.  It was not that bad of a drive, a lot of music and reading. I am staying at the Olympic Village in Sestreire, so there are a lot of memories.  There is also a lot of snow.  If you remember the paths between the building being about 6 inches of snow is now about 7 feet.  It has been snowing here all week.  We were able to get the downhill of but only one.  We had one training run and then raced later that day, I finished 6th not that far out.  We raced a Downhill and a Super Combined, the Downhill race combined with a single run of Slalom.  I finished the Downhill 7th, .16 sec out of 5th, and then finished the combined 5th.  The Downhill was fast.  I skied more timid but went 3sec faster on the second day.  We tried to ski a Super Combined, a Super-G and Slalom this time, but it started snowing again, and it looked like a very fast course, faster and more open then the Downhill.  Today they cancled without even getting onto the hill, rumor was that there was a 1.5m snow drift at the top of the course.  So I am doing the Internet and packing today.  My skis that never made it are safely home in Colorado Springs.  It sucks that I don't have skis but I am happy that they made it home.  When leave for Marselle tomorrow and then fly home on Monday.

January 15th, 2009

Hello All.  I have had a great time here in Spain.  The weather was awesome and the ski condition were perfect.  Unfortunately I never got my skis so my skiing progression was not ideal.  I was able to borrow a teammates GS ski where I placed 11th and 10th, and then borrowed a Candian's ski, she was out because the girl she guided was out with a knee injury :(, where I placed 3rd and 9th.  Not the best start to the year but I very happy with skiing.  We are off to Sestriere Italy tomorrow for a lot of speed events.  Yeah.  I don't plan on doing spectacular in the Downhill but the Super-G should be a blast.  Until the next time that I have an internet connection, adios.

January 11th, 2009

Hello All,
    I have arrived in Europe, with no bags.  I luckily brought my ski boot on the plane with me and extra under wear, thank God.  I am excited to say that my clothes bag arrived yesterday afternoon and my speed skis arrived today.  Unfortunately we race tech, ie Slalom and Giant Slalom, here in Spain.  I am fortunately borrowing Laurie's skis until mine arrive. 
    On the flip side the mountains here in the Pyrenees are a lot like those of Colorado and Utah.  There are pinny trees and great snow.  The hill that we are skiing on was used for an Able-Bodied World Cup in December so it is phenomenal, steep and hard.  We went exploring, I was on Stephani's slalom ski and Brad Alier's poles.  The snow was soft on the rest of the mountain. 
    The hotel is fun, we have mini apartments with kitchens the size of what Haley's first New York City apartment.  There is a workout out room that is very expensive, so I won't be going in there.  The tuning is happening in the parking garage with giant heaters keeping everything warm.  
    We are racing Giant Slalom for the first two days then two days of Slalom after that.  So for now that is all that I have, until next time,

January 1st, 2009

I have had a great holiday season.  I got to hang out with both my family and Justin's family.  Over all I think that the holidays were a great success when it came to hanging out with family and relaxing.  I have been skiing a lot.  For a while it was just free skiing with Haley and then I went training after the holidays.  I spent one morning with David from Skins doing a photo shoot at the bottom of the hill.  Lots of fun and some what breezy. 
I am now approaching the departure date for the Europe World Cup Series.  I am getting the usual butterflies in my stomach.  I can't wait to go over there.  It is going to be a ton of fun and I feel really strong right now.  I am currently up in Winter Park training one last time before going to the Springs to pack.  Yeah. 

December 7th, 2008

I am getting ready for the first ski race of the season, the ever so exciting Ski Spectacular.  But wait this year we are racing at Copper Mountain and not the boring hill at Breckenridge.  I cannot wait.  I have a whole new wardrobe to show off and I think it is going to be spectacular!!!  We are racing the slalom on Monday and then the Giant Slalom on Tuesday, yeah.  I have had a lot of fun so far with the team and cannot wait.  I have been skiing for 27 days already this season.  I have thrown my back out and got skiers thumb.  Everything is functional right now and I can't wait to see how I am doing against the rest of the competitors.  

I had a great Thanksgiving this year.  I first went by my Grandparents and gave my grandfather his birthday gift then went and met up with Justin and his family plus the grooms family in Monument.  I ate a lot of food and it started snowing that evening.  I then went to Kevin and Jessica's wedding, which was awesome at the Air Force Academy.  The officer's club was a lot of fun for the reception.

Other then that it is pretty routine, which is good for training.  I have gotten into the gym a lot but I have done a complete workout on a Friday, crazy.  Once I was out of town, then I was injured, and then I got home to late.  I have been very good otherwise about getting into a schedule and sticking to it.  I am very excited for the race.  I think I am ready mentally and physically.

Contact: Allison, website manager