This is the first try of a real water roux starter. I was just looking at my notebook on Saturday, thinking about the coming week, and the past weeks' bread that I made. This recipe jumps out on me and I decided to give it a try.
Ok - I didn't exactly follow the formula to making the water roux. I used boiled hot water that was left cool for awhile and added to my flour. It was hot enough, and most importantly, I whisk it and it was the creamy texture that I was looking for. So, can I still call it water roux starter? I let it cool before using.
Another thing that I tried was my handheld kneading machine, I have been using this mainly for cake making, but there are 2 kneading handles that came with it, and I thought, I should start using these things, my wrist has been hurting from all the kneading of dough. Well, it worked. It pulled the dough together, I still have to knead to get the smooth texture, passing the window pane test, well, at least I didn't have to knead for a good 20 minutes to pull the dough together. I'm beginning to like the idea of semi-automating my process. When will I fully automate or at least 80% automate? I'm waiting for my sponsor.
I left it to proof, but as I felt the gluten was not strong, after 1/2 hour, I did a stretch and fold. After the next 1/2 hour, I did another stretch and fold. Then leaving it to fully proof for 1 1/2 hours. My kitchen was at 20 degrees celsius.
I used the whole dough and fold it to oblong shape. Let is rest for 10 minutes before I shape it. Stretching it fully, I rolled it like a swiss roll. Put into my Pullman Loaf pan for the final proofing. It took up about 1/2 of my loaf pan.
After 2 hours, the dough rose nicely almost reaching the top. I did a couple of check to ensure that it reaches almost to the top. Meanwhile heating up the oven to 200 degrees celsius. I put in the loaf to bake for a good 40 minutes. Wanted to ensure that it is baked properly. I did a final check with the time's up, taking an internal temperature of the loaf, it moved quickly beyond the 200F mark. It's ready. The loaf had a good sharp edges.
It was late, I left it to cool for awhile and throw a towel over because I wanted to sleep. I woke up in the morning, and started slicing the loaf. It was a good soft loaf, it was stretched well, but I think the loaf was a little big for my pan, there was room for it to expand further. See the picture below. The top and bottom is not fully expanded. I think I can cut down 50g to 100g of the flour.
The taste of this loaf was a little sweet, I'd also cut down the sugar perhaps by half. I like the use of the skim milk, as the taste of milk is not over powering. Somehow, the bread turns out a little yellow, I'm not sure if its the butter or just my Japanese flour. This is also slightly different from my other water roux starter that I made, the other type was low in water content, and feels gluey. The bread also turns out a little more gluey when eaten. This one is lighter in texture, bouncy in fact.
This experience of using water roux starter got me thinking of my next experiment. I'll share soon......
Water Roux Starter
50g Bread Flour
250g Boiled Hot Water
(whisk it quickly till creamy)
474g Bread Flour
15g Milk Powder
195g skim milk
156g water roux starter
Comments and Forums
The gadget spec URL could not be found