2016 - 2017 7th grade incoming students: SUMMER ASSIGNMENTS
An email was sent out in June with a link to summer work that will prepare you for 7th grade iSTEM courses.
The link can be accessed at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J_OzreDqs_5PCuZ-PoDIa__daquWtZX2tITBt0-uCcY/edit
If you did not receive this information in June, please contact Ms. Arntson ( email@example.com).
The iSTEM Program at Bell Middle School
Inspire Innovate Communicate
The iSTEM program fosters innovation as evidenced by our “brand”. The iSTEM logo was designed entirely by our first student cohort to indicate “Innovation in the world of STEM”. Students master core content by transferring and applying their classroom learning to solve real-world problems both local and global in nature. Students build self-confidence and life skills through integrated instruction in the 4 Cs: collaboration, creativity, critical thinking and communication.
We provide a rigorous and engaging academic environment incorporating technology with innovative pathways which empower students to take ownership for academic success. Student learning is transferred and applied to new or different situations to challenge and strengthen critical thinking. Motivated, high achieving iSTEM students may choose the additional challenge of self-directed honors content extensions in grades 7&8 to encourage explorations in passion areas and build creative and critical thinking skills.
Our Instructional Model
• Problem-Based Learning (PBL): relevant challenges are chosen to enrich a variety of curriculum
• Content integration: identify and link cross-content concepts and skills to develop deeper student understanding and the ability to apply learning
• Communication, Collaboration, Critical thinking, Creativity are taught in tandem with content
• Outreach – field trips, experts in the field, higher education connections, career and college readiness opportunities bring the outside world into our students’ lives and learning
• CCAP – Jeffco guaranteed and viable curriculum in all content areas
• Bell Middle School systemic practices for writing
• District Math program
• Thinking Maps
• State assessments
• Formal and informal assessments related to content units
Our iSTEM at Bell program is widely recognized for offering a successful 21st century model of learning. We have received awards and grants that support our constant improvement of our programming. We partner with national and state higher education institutions and businesses such as Colorado School of Mines, Red Rocks Community College, CoCoSTEM (a national Girls in STEM consortium), Metro State University, Warren Tech, NASA/ Hunch, CASIS, Denver Zoo, SparkFun, Space Symposium, and the City of Golden.