D'Evelyn Jr./Sr. High School
College Planning Timeline for Juniors
- Attend college visits at D'Evelyn in the Counseling Office.
- Attend the annual D'Evelyn College Day. Details announced each fall.
- Take the PSAT in Ocotber, which is offered to all D'Evelyn juniors.
- Attend In-State and Out-of-State College Fairs around Denver.
- Explore your options and start researching schools.
- Naviance is your friend! You can research colleges, research majors and careers, and much more!
- Choose classes for senior year wisely. Colleges want to see a challenging academic schedule. Consider challenging yourself with AP classes in subject areas that interest you.
- Start visiting college campuses either on your own or scheduling a tour with the admissions office.
- Attend a Career Exploration Lunch and a Career Shadow Day offered at D'Evelyn.
- All athletes interested in playing a sport in college at the NCAA Division I or Division II level will need to apply to the NCAA Eligibility Center at www.eligibilitycenter.org.
- If you are considering playing in the NAIA please register at www.playnaia.org.
- Attend college information sessions about specific colleges held throughout Denver.
- The mandatory state SAT for juniors will be given at D'Evelyn in April. Students DO NOT need to register for this test.
- SAT scores will generally be higher the second time a student takes the SAT. If students would like to improve their score by taking the SAT a second time it is recommended that they register at www.collegeboard.org.
- Determine if the SAT writing exam is required for any of your schools and register to take the SAT with writing at www.collegeboard.org.
- Consider taking optional SAT prep classes.
- All colleges accept either the SAT or ACT.
- Pay attention to schools that require SAT Subject Tests and make sure you sign up to take those sooner rather than later on www.collegeboard.org.
- If you are pursuing a military academy please come see your counselor or visit our Military Academy page.
- Meet with your counselor to discuss your plan and any questions you may have.
Summer before Senior Year
- Visit colleges that you are interested in.
- Finalize your list of colleges where you are planning to apply and list them in Naviance under Colleges I Am Applying To.
- Think about working at a summer job or doing a volunteer experience that would support your career goal.
- Determine which teachers you would like to request a letter of recommendation from when you return to D'Evelyn your Senior Year.
- Check the Common Application website (www.commonapp.org) and review the essay prompts from previous years to start planning your essay.
- Start brainstorming ideas for your college application essay and consider completing your essays over the summer.
- Begin completing the Common Application at www.commonapp.org.
For more information on the Junior Year timeline please click here.