When should you practice?
*“Only on the days you eat!” -Dr. Suzuki
*Try to practice at the same time each time you practice. Setting up a routine can really help!
* Practicing at least 10 minutes every day will really help your learning in the classroom and help for your performances! How do you practice?
- Set GOALS to try to accomplish in each practice session.
- Be sure you know what the passage should SOUND like.
- What does this sound like?
- Work on the most CHALLENGING spots first.
- Break the music down into SMALL sections (How do you eat an elephant? - One bite at a time!)
- Pick one measure or a few measures or a whole line to work on first.
- Use a PENCIL to write in helpful information.
- Should I write in this fingering? What’s this note?
- REPEAT the passage many times AFTER you get it right.
- I need to play this a few more times.
- Before you end each practice session, PLAY the entire piece, and enjoy!
- Can I play the whole piece without stopping?